The end of 6 digit Alamy ref nos?

It's amazing how fast Alamy is approaching the end of the current sequence of 6 digit reference numbers that start with a letter.

I wonder what will come next?

6 digit references starting with a number instead of a letter?

7 digit reference numbers?

Hopefully Alamy's systems can handle an extra digit... Brings back memories of the Y2K software concerns. There's also the LR plugin.

The total number of images doesn't seem to be going up at the same rate as the reference numbers are being used. This suggests a lot of deletions.

I suppose that gives another possibility, that reference numbers of deleted images could be re-used?

Mark 

Perhaps a number, then a letter?  2A....(since 1 and I are easily confused)? Then 2B.... or 3A.... I'd think they'd stay with 6 letters/digits but I don't know enough about databases

Live News are already at W so we'll find out very soon. 

The explosive growth is really obvious when you track by letter. When I started in July 2008 with my 4 test images they started with B1....  Everything from 2008, 2009, and 2010 is also B. So it took around 2 1/2 years to get through one letter at that time. 
The C images started in February 2011. 

My D images start in Feb 2013 so it took two years to get through one letter at that point. 

My E images start with E6 in August 2014 - Not totally scientific for the transition from D to E since Jan 2014 was still D but didn't upload again until Aug ...so guess around 1 1/2/ years

F was a year later - Aug 2015 (July I had EY...) 

G1....May 2016, so less than a year (last before that I had was FY in April)

H2....the end of Sept 2016 (mid Aug was GK....) so less than 6 months to get through a letter

Not sure if I missed I or if it would be confused with 1 and again a bit of a gap, I had HE...in Dec 2016 and then

J2...Apr 2017 (no uploads earlier that year) (so 3 months or less)

KF...Oct 2017 (still J in June, then a gap - was sick a lot in 2017 so very few uploads) 

In January 2018, they were still at K, but now they have gone from T to W in a month! 

KY.... Jan 15, 2018  KY....

M05...  Jan  18 , 2018,   still M.... in March then I have a gap and ....

PK.....Sept 2018

RT....by my next upload in Feb 2019  R's through part of March but

T1....by  March 24, 2019

TT...the last time I uploaded in June, now we are at W....

I’m thinking about all of the contributors who quit Alamy over the cut. Some very large ports left. Those numbers could be reused, but boy, it would sure screw up our threads about old images being sold, which we discerned by the image numbers.

We’d have to pay attention to our upload dates or memories!

I think....:blink:

Betty

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m thinking about all of the contributors who quit Alamy over the cut. Some very large ports left. Those numbers could be reused, but boy, it would sure screw up our threads about old images being sold, which we discerned by the image numbers.

We’d have to pay attention to our upload dates or memories!

I think....:blink:

Betty

I believe that some of those who split the scene packed up a lot of their images and took them with them. One contributor in particular comes to mind. He must have had very large suitcases. 😀

Perhaps Alamy can start prefacing reference numbers with two identical letters -- e.g. AA, BB, CC, etc. -- once they've run thru the alphabet. That way they wouldn't have to add an extra digit. But I guess that system might result in some duplications of existing ref nos.

Archived