Needlessly giving high res files

rickboden

9 hours ago, rickboden said:

Please Alamy, don't give my 8000 pixel wide images to clients who purchase for presentation and newsletter use.  I don't see any logical reason for doing this other than giving away the farm (so to speak.)  This was an incredible shock when I saw it on my sales statement and I'm sorry to say, it has dampened my enthusiasm significantly.  The idea of someone having my 144 megabyte file on their computer for the next 5 years and expecting them to only use it for a/v's and newsletters is hard for me to accept.

I think this is a case of me valuing my images too highly and Alamy valuing them too little.  But the recent sale was part of an expensive shoot on my part.

Rick Boden

I quite agree, Rick... I haven`t sold any yet, but the thought of a customer receiving a full resolution file for the amount charged doesn`t sit well with me.  I haven`t uploaded a lot yet, and am having second thoughts about doing so.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

On 07/07/2019 at 23:27, rickboden said:

Please Alamy, don't give my 8000 pixel wide images to clients who purchase for presentation and newsletter use.  I don't see any logical reason for doing this other than giving away the farm (so to speak.)  This was an incredible shock when I saw it on my sales statement and I'm sorry to say, it has dampened my enthusiasm significantly.  The idea of someone having my 144 megabyte file on their computer for the next 5 years and expecting them to only use it for a/v's and newsletters is hard for me to accept.

I think this is a case of me valuing my images too highly and Alamy valuing them too little.  But the recent sale was part of an expensive shoot on my part.

Rick Boden

Agree Rick. 2000 pixels would be more than adequate for the stated use. Situation is really disappointing for me as well.

• Love 1
  • Like 6

+1

I recently bought a couple of my own images (to test whether Alamy supplies aRGB or sRGB) for personal use for £9.99. I was offered a full range of different resolutions all for the same price. It makes no sense to me.

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 3
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 08/07/2019 at 13:27, rickboden said:

Rick Boden

If you are genuinely concerned about how your images are used I recommend you change  your settings to Rights Managed. May not sell as much but they will be more tightly controlled. Don't know if it also affects image resolution.

4 hours ago, Kent Johnson said:

If you are genuinely concerned about how your images are used I recommend you change  your settings to Rights Managed. May not sell as much but they will be more tightly controlled. Don't know if it also affects image resolution.

Thanks, yes I've been doing this over the past while.  Still I'm scratching my head over why they are doing this and I'm wondering now because of the recent sale of the company, perhaps quantity of sales was a goal for them.

On 08/07/2019 at 05:27, rickboden said:

Rick Boden

+1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2020 at 10:51, Kent Johnson said:

I don't think that makes much difference to newsletter and presentation use (availability or resolution)... The vast majority of my images are RM but I could still buy full resolution for just £9.99 for personal, presentation or newsletter use. It depends on the "honesty" of the purchaser.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I don't think that makes much difference to newsletter and presentation use (availability or resolution)... The vast majority of my images are RM but I could still buy full resolution for just £9.99 for personal, presentation or newsletter use. It depends on the "honesty" of the purchaser.

Mark

Yes, although I have moved most to RM, in the end my solution is to not submit my highest res photos and go with a maximum of 5500px or less.  Not a real solution as the presentation buyer will get a high-res file but at least not as high as possible.  I doubt Alamy has a problem with me submitting this way and they are welcome to ask me if I have a bigger file if a sale warrants it.

Rick Boden