This image of a N.T. property, Hardwick Hall, Derbyshire, was taken from a public path an was used on the front cover of a very informative book about Hardwick Hall. Not only I was paid $$$ amount but I also attended the book launch with lunch at the property. The publishers being the National Trust. Double standards in play.

EAXEKH.jpg

1 hour ago, Alan Beastall said:

Double standards in play

Double standards indeed, but a very nice spotlight on the issue. I see that the NT Photo Library have 654 images on Alamy for the keyword search "Hardwick Hall" out of 1425 in total. Very nice that you, as an independent photographer, came up with a great image that was presumably better than any of their own for that book cover. Perhaps they should think about what they are missing out on by trying to prohibit photography in the way that they do.

2 hours ago, regen said:

I don't know about other agencies but Alamy just rolled over and gave in to their requests

It is quite difficult for Alamy because they have, and presumably profit from, over 45000 NT images, they wouldn't want to lose them I guess.

14 hours ago, regen said:

I don't know about other agencies but Alamy just rolled over and gave in to their requests- or did they check it out and were advised that the NT may have a case!

12 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

It is quite difficult for Alamy because they have, and presumably profit from, over 45000 NT images, they wouldn't want to lose them I guess.

I would imagine it is more to do with the cost of winning than the chance of losing.

Alamy could take a principled stand and say it no longer wants to represent the NT. 45,000 is rather under a three thousandth of the collection- they may have removed not far short of that at the NT's behest so they might be even on the deal.

Is there a smiley for <sceptical>?

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1