Feedback and advice greatly appreciated

Bionic

Thanks, I really appreciate your input. Do you really think more ag machinery type pictures are worth uploading? I was reviewing my portfolio recently and was on the verge of culling a lot of that sort of image but if they're likely to sell I'll get shooting more instead. To me they're dull boring everyday pictures that if I'm honest I don't get a huge amount of joy taking, but... Its one subject that I get a lot of opportunity to shoot easily so if the consensus is that its worthwhile I'll keep at it (at least it gives our employees a giggle watching me )

Thanks again. James :)

James, I really like your images. Please don’t get your numbers up by uploading too many similars, like your medication on a blue background.

One horizontal, one vertical will do. Maybe a third one with the medication off to the side leaving ample copy space. Same with the combine fire. Three of the best of those are plenty. You are competing with yourself, and I’ve found when using to many similars myself, that it’s usually my least favorite that comes up first in a search.  Plus too many will ultimately gather too many views without zooms or sales, hurting your CTR. For instance, a unique image like the fire most likely will all or most come up on the first page or two. One may be zoomed and licensed, but the others will count as a view without a zoom or license.

If you use more than two or three, make sure they each are quite a bit different from each other.

Betty

34 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

James, I really like your images. Please don’t get your numbers up by uploading too many similars, like your medication on a blue background.

One horizontal, one vertical will do. Maybe a third one with the medication off to the side leaving ample copy space. Same with the combine fire. Three of the best of those are plenty. You are competing with yourself, and I’ve found when using to many similars myself, that it’s usually my least favorite that comes up first in a search.  Plus too many will ultimately gather too many views without zooms or sales, hurting your CTR. For instance, a unique image like the fire most likely will all or most come up on the first page or two. One may be zoomed and licensed, but the others will count as a view without a zoom or license.

If you use more than two or three, make sure they each are quite a bit different from each other.

Betty

Thanks. I take your point about posting too many similars, I think sometimes I'm a little prone to getting caught up in the moment and then want to share it (the combine fire being a case in point). I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look and share your advice.

Thanks again. James

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Thanks. I take your point about posting too many similars, I think sometimes I'm a little prone to getting caught up in the moment and then want to share it (the combine fire being a case in point). I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look and share your advice.

Thanks again. James

I understand! Actually, I tend to take quite a few multiples and constantly fight the tendency to upload more than I should. I guess that’s why I notice that same tendency in others. 

We need to form an intervention group! :D

Great advice from the group here - use your farm experience and contacts to your advantage. Every few months update your research and think of new ideas, but most importantly enjoy what you are doing - your love of photography shows. 

Beautiful photos. Congrats on your sale too. 

• Like 1

James, you said "at least it gives our employees a giggle watching me", so I put "Giggling Farm Workers" into the search, only two results.

I'm not suggesting you or anyone should start tickling their employees just that if I thought of "Giggling Farm Workers" a picture buyer might as well.

Heed the sound advice of having a carefully curated portfolio, but don't put up too many barriers.

Oh and keep posting 'cos then we all have a look at your pictures!

• 4 months later...

I thought I'd revisit this thread to share my thoughts and to reaffirm my thanks to those of you who were good enough to share their wisdom. At the time I was really not convinced that it would be worth concentrating on a niche such as farming but I've tried to get a few more ag related pics uploaded. Although my farming portfolio is still very small (usually when I'm on the farm I have my hands a bit full) it has started to outperform my other port as far as CTR is concerned (no sales as yet but given its size thats not a great surprise). A bit of a ramble I know but I'd just like to thank you all again and its given me the impetus to try and focus a bit more on that type of photography in to the next year. 

Thanks again everyone. James :)

• Love 1