Printer help

I have a HP Envoy 7640 all-in-one. Prints, scans, etc. Apparently when I updated my iMac to Mohave 10.14.5, the driver doesn’t work and  I no longer can print or scan. Being non-technical, I didn’t realize what caused the problem a few months ago until the brick wall fell on me today. I’ve been messing with it for hours trying to download a driver that will make it work. I thought I had because a test sheet printed but when I tried to scan, nada. 

I’ve chatted with HP online, and trouble shot.  Then the print quit working after a prompt told me the driver was some off brand, did I want a HPDriver? Of course I said yes. Stupid stupid stupid.

It was recommended to uninstall all software and I have done that. But when I tried to go to the site to reinstall, I was asked for my Hewitt-Packard password and I forgot/can’t find it.  I was sent a link to get a new password but it is a dead link that does NOTHING!!  If I can’t change or get a new password, I can’t reinstall everything.

I have an extremely important document to scan and send email today and I’m about to lose it. I’m sure I’ve done everything wrong.  See bold ^ above,

Maybe some of my American friends here know what the heck I can do other than buy a new printer/scanner and probably mess up that installation. I probably would still need my password for that, anyway! 😁

You’re welcome to fly to my town and help me out. I’ll even take you out to dinner. 😉

Betty

Have you been backing up using Time Machine? If so, you might be able to revert your iMac back to the status before you upgraded to Mojave. 

If not, why don’t you scan your documents with your iPhone and send them first? And, then try to solve the problems. 

Sung

I have recently discovered the ability to scan using an iPhone. Go to the Notes app and instead of writing a note click on the plus sign. You will be given an option to scan. I haven't actually used it so I don't know how good it is but worth trying. As I was writing this Sung also mentioned scanning with the iPhone.

Paulette

PS. When you go back by using Time Machine, you might loose files which you created after the upgrade, depending on where you store your data. 

10 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I have recently discovered the ability to scan using an iPhone. Go to the Notes app and instead of writing a note click on the plus sign. You will be given an option to scan. I haven't actually used it so I don't know how good it is but worth trying. As I was writing this Sung also mentioned scanning with the iPhone.

Paulette

Now I scan all my purchase invoices, receipts etc and store digitally (PDF) with my iPhone. The quality, in my opinion, is good enough for documents scanning. 

Sung

Edited by SFL
Added ‘with my iPhone’

With iPhone Note app as Paulette said, you can create multiple pages documents, too, by keep adding new scans to the same ‘Note’. 

Sung

Panic over.  I will never understand why, when I panic and ask for help, a new clarity of thought happens, and another avenue opens in my brain.  I sat for an hour watching my soap opera (only one, 😉) and came back to it. I found a way to get my password straightened out.  Then instead of going to the HP website, I asked a Google question and got a chat board. There was an option through the Apple menu on my iMac that allowed me to fix it.

I can now scan and print.  OMG. 

But your suggestion about using my iPhone is excellent.  I'll remember that in the future. DUH.  Told ya I wasn't technical.  The very fact I got my printer/scanner going again while still on Mohave is a miracle.  Y'all don't know how much of a miracle, LOL.

It doesn't help that all of my family uses PCs and don't know diddly about Apple products.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
typo