File Size Confusion

Hi all,

I'm looking at contributing some images to Alamy but am having trouble with the file size element. I noticed a lot of the larger images are listed at 40 to 50 mb on here. I would like to submit images as large as possible from the start really to make sure I'm not missing any sales further down the line due to the images being too small. 

I shoot with a 5dmkiii and when I save my raw files as jpegs I'm looking at around 11mb files give or take. So were is the extra mb's coming from? Are you all shooting with medium format, am I doing something wrong or is my maths as bad as I fear! 

Thanks

Paulie

3 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Hi all,

I'm looking at contributing some images to Alamy but am having trouble with the file size element. I noticed a lot of the larger images are listed at 40 to 50 mb on here. I would like to submit images as large as possible from the start really to make sure I'm not missing any sales further down the line due to the images being too small. 

I shoot with a 5dmkiii and when I save my raw files as jpegs I'm looking at around 11mb files give or take. So were is the extra mb's coming from? Are you all shooting with medium format, am I doing something wrong or is my maths as bad as I fear! 

Thanks

Paulie

Here you go then, a previous thread outlining this question.

1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Here you go then, a previous thread outlining this question.

Thanks Joseph. Much appreciated. I think my 5Dmkiii should be fine then. 

There are a lot of 40mb uncompressed files which is still really big even for a raw file. I guess a lot of people are shooting D850's. 

Edited by Paulie
bad spelling

2 hours ago, Paulie said:

40mb uncompressed files which is still really big even for a raw file.

They're not RAW. Alamy provides jpegs only. In any case, the image size of an unresized jpeg is the same as the RAW from which it is derived. If you don't get that yet, look at the link again.

I meant ‘even if happened to be Raw’ rather than if it’s raw. It made sense in my head. 

I read the thread a few times. As I understand it a jpeg is resized by the naive of it. If you have an opened file as a full size jpeg the file size is smaller than a raw.

Where I’m struggling is the opened image in photoshop is bigger than the raw but I think this might be a megabits / megapixel thing. 

On Alamy people have JPEGs with a smaller pixel size than mine listed as 40mb files. My larger files have a lower size (11mb) when saved as a full size JPEG.

2 hours ago, Paulie said:

Thanks Joseph. Much appreciated. I think my 5Dmkiii should be fine then. 

There are a lot of 40mb uncompressed files which is still really big even for a raw file. I guess a lot of people are shooting D850's. 

Uncompressed images from my 24 MP Sony A6000 are 68 MB, compressed for submitting to Alamy they normally run in the 10-25 MB range.

You don't really have to worry about images being too small for editorial uses as long as your camera is at least 6 MP.  Even 3000 pixels on the long side (about 17 MB uncompressed) is usually big enough.

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Uncompressed images from my 24 MP Sony A6000 are 68 MB, compressed for submitting to Alamy they normally run in the 10-25 MB range.

You don't really have to worry about images being too small for editorial uses as long as your camera is at least 6 MP.  Even 3000 pixels on the long side (about 17 MB uncompressed) is usually big enough.

Thanks John

Check a few things when you open a file in PS. Set your resolution at 300, not 72. If that creates a huge file reduce the longest side to 4500 (bicubic) , mode 16 bits. Work the file, reduce to 8 bits mode, save as a jpeg for upload. 

Edited by formerly snappyoncalifornia