Magnolia ID please.

aphperspective

Most grandiflora species are evergreen, the one in your pic looks to have lots of fresh leaf buds, so more likely a deciduous variety.

Also worth saying that both of our grandifloras flower mid summer onward, whilst our decidous ones are just coming into bloom, is this a recent photo?

49 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

Reckon we need John Richmond to nail the variety down - there are lots

There are lots!!!  I've only got the one in my own garden though we grow a few at The Garden House so I'm no expert.  My first thought is Magnolia x soulangeana but that normally flowers a little later - though not this year.  It's commonly grown and has the right shape and coloration.  But, how big are the flowers?  If they are particularly large then it could be one of the early flowering tree magnolias such as Magnolia cambellii which should do well in Ireland.

4 hours ago, John Richmond said:

There are lots!!!  I've only got the one in my own garden though we grow a few at The Garden House so I'm no expert.  My first thought is Magnolia x soulangeana but that normally flowers a little later - though not this year.  It's commonly grown and has the right shape and coloration.  But, how big are the flowers?  If they are particularly large then it could be one of the early flowering tree magnolias such as Magnolia cambellii which should do well in Ireland.

Hi John, looking online there are a lot that look very similar, the flowers are large, just starting flowers opening last couple of weeks, all of them over here are doing the same. We are having early high temps and no frost so all the camelia's and magnolia's are in full undamaged bloom.

Thanks for your help as usual the font of all knowledge leafy.:)

10 hours ago, aphperspective said:

magnolia-tree-in-full-spring-flower-RPTDMT.jpg

This is the actual tree.

Yes, that confirms it as Magnolia x soulangeana.  That's how they typically grow.  Which variety of x soulangeana I'm less sure about; there are a few from the cross in cultivation but I think it's safe to label it as that.  

7 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Yes, that confirms it as Magnolia x soulangeana.  That's how they typically grow.  Which variety of x soulangeana I'm less sure about; there are a few from the cross in cultivation but I think it's safe to label it as that.  

Yet again thanks a million John. Tags being updated now.

Andy

I don't know if common names will help, but here in the southern US, we have always called them Japanese Magnolias. This is to differentiate from the more common saucer magnolia, which we sometimes call southern magnolias. The variety you picture is always the first thing to bloom here in the early spring, and don't last very long. The saucer magnolias, bloom in the summer and last quite a while. Here is the local version of yours and a bud from the saucer magnolia. Hope this helps

B8WCDK.jpg

B8WEKT.jpg

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 15:36, Darryl said:

I don't know if common names will help, but here in the southern US, we have always called them Japanese Magnolias. This is to differentiate from the more common saucer magnolia, which we sometimes call southern magnolias. The variety you picture is always the first thing to bloom here in the early spring, and don't last very long. The saucer magnolias, bloom in the summer and last quite a while. Here is the local version of yours and a bud from the saucer magnolia. Hope this helps

B8WCDK.jpg

B8WEKT.jpg

Thanks Darryl the US tag would be helpfull

Archived