Panorama files too large to download

I do panoramas in PSE. But I am either too stupid to understand or doing something completely wrong.

Let's say I do a 6 RAW photo panorama in LR4. I then save them to the desktop as high quality JPegs.

I load them into PS Elements and do the Panorama. I then save the Pano as a Jpeg (having reset image size to 300 etc) at around 10 Mbs. But it's always too large to download.

What am I doing wrong. Help!!! :D

I have taken numerous panoramas (stitched in PS) which were around 240mb at 8 bit tiff. I had to produce jpegs which are smaller than 24mb (if memory serves right) for them to be accepted on Alamy. Just keep reducing a copy of your original, or saving the jpeg at level 11, rather than 12, to bring down the file size.

This is eternally confusing to many people and has been answered on this forum not too long ago as well as several times on the old forum. It really should be properly clarified as a sticky here along with the other sticky at the top of this forum.

It's the maximum pixel size of the image that counts here, nothing to do with the resolution or the file size on disk. The maximum pixel size is 200Mb. Over that the image will automatically be rejected.

To see the pixel size, check the Image SIze dialog box in Photoshop - I don't know about Elements. Alternatively, in LR4, you can see what the pixel dimensions of the image are by looking at the cropped dimensions under View - View Options in the Library or Develop modules. Multiply these two numbers together and multiply by 3 (Length X Height X 3). If that is over 200,000,000, then your file is too big and you will need to reduce it. In Photoshop, you do this in the Image Size dialog box. With resample image checked, reduce the pixel dimensions until the file is smaller than 200Mb. There is, I'm pretty sure, a similar ability in Elements. Alternatively you can export it at a smaller size from Lightroom.

Saving as a lower quality JPEG does nothing as that effects the file size on disk only, not the pixel dimensions. The 25Mb maximum file size on disk mentioned in the Alamy guidance is also irrelevant here and is presumably out of date, as some cameras (D800) generate level 12 JPEG files a lot larger than this.

Link to previous post

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/674-maximum-file-size/

Also link to Alamy guidance on this

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/image-submission-checklist.asp

Well answered MDM. I haven’t sent across stitched panoramics for about a year so obviously completely forgot how I had created them! I also decided to look up my strictly panoramic sales since I started on Alamy in 2005, sold 5 panoramic images all shot originally on Hasselblad X Pan (long since sold), and only two since which are stitched digital panoramic (and one of these is a still life), so I can’t say that my panos on Alamy are generating much income. More success with them on another site however.

This is eternally confusing to many people and has been answered on this forum not too long ago as well as several times on the old forum. It really should be properly clarified as a sticky here along with the other sticky at the top of this forum.

It's the maximum pixel size of the image that counts here, nothing to do with the resolution or the file size on disk. The maximum pixel size is 200Mb. Over that the image will automatically be rejected.

To see the pixel size, check the Image SIze dialog box in Photoshop - I don't know about Elements. Alternatively, in LR4, you can see what the pixel dimensions of the image are by looking at the cropped dimensions under View - View Options in the Library or Develop modules. Multiply these two numbers together and multiply by 3 (Length X Height X 3). If that is over 200,000,000, then your file is too big and you will need to reduce it. In Photoshop, you do this in the Image Size dialog box. With resample image checked, reduce the pixel dimensions until the file is smaller than 200Mb. There is, I'm pretty sure, a similar ability in Elements. Alternatively you can export it at a smaller size from Lightroom.

Saving as a lower quality JPEG does nothing as that effects the file size on disk only, not the pixel dimensions. The 25Mb maximum file size on disk mentioned in the Alamy guidance is also irrelevant here and is presumably out of date, as some cameras (D800) generate level 12 JPEG files a lot larger than this.

Link to previous post

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/674-maximum-file-size/

Also link to Alamy guidance on this

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/image-submission-checklist.asp

Hey MDM thank you for that, and for stating what the maximum size is which i could never find.  

Hey MDM thank you for that, and for stating what the maximum size is which i could never find.  

Glad to have helped. The info on the 200Mb limit is hard to find. It was somebody else who found the link to Alamy guidance on this. I discovered it by trial and error and some vague memory of having seen the guidance the first time I had an image rejected for being too big. It's easy to forget to downsize but fortunately it doesn't result in a QC failure.

Well answered MDM. I haven’t sent across stitched panoramics for about a year so obviously completely forgot how I had created them! I also decided to look up my strictly panoramic sales since I started on Alamy in 2005, sold 5 panoramic images all shot originally on Hasselblad X Pan (long since sold), and only two since which are stitched digital panoramic (and one of these is a still life), so I can’t say that my panos on Alamy are generating much income. More success with them on another site however.

Malcolm - would you care to share the name of the other site you mention (either openly if that is allowed by forum rules or by private message). I have loads of stitched panoramas on Alamy but sales have been extremely poor. I like creating stitched panoramas for various reasons (educational and aesthetic) and upload them with my other images but to date it has been a waste of time in terms of sales here.

Archived