Don McCullin documentary

Bryan

Just enjoyed watching this on BBC channel 4 catch up. You will need a BBC licence to be able to access it I guess

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0002dv0/don-mccullin-looking-for-england

Amazing that at 82 years old he is still carrying two DSLRS or a heavy medium format film camera, and still enjoying working in his darkroom. Remarkable that he was able to capture a series of super shots even with a film crew in attendance.  Also fascinating for him to come face to face with people that he photographed 40 years ago.

34 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Just enjoyed watching this on BBC channel 4 catch up. You will need a BBC licence to be able to access it I guess

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0002dv0/don-mccullin-looking-for-england

Amazing that at 82 years old he is still carrying two DSLRS or a heavy medium format film camera, and still enjoying working in his darkroom. Remarkable that he was able to capture a series of super shots even with a film crew in attendance.  Also fascinating for him to come face to face with people that he photographed 40 years ago.

Haven't used my Mamiya Press since I got the 500C in 1982. A shame really but who wants to pay for materials now? Sigh.

No fly on the wall with an RZ either- sounds like a door being slammed!

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Just enjoyed watching this on BBC channel 4 catch up

It was an excellent documentary, a good friend who has never shown any interest in photography before,  preferring Fine Art, was very taken by it, as was I.

Who would want to be followed by a film crew when taking pictures but as you say, it worked very well. I couldn't quite understand why he switched to digital as he could never print those pictures himself, cynically I wondered if Canon put some money in as I know he has worked with them before.

He photographed quite a lot of 'elderly' people, watching the band in the rain at Eastbourne, and the chap by the plane at Goodwood, but he was probably much older than any of them. 

I had seen the Jacqui and David Morris feature film "McCullin" at the cinema but took the opportunity to watch it again as it is on Youtube. I can recommend that too but it is a very, very dark and harrowing experience, but justifiably so as it gives an insight into the horrors that he'd seen, and as he admitted himself, had become to a degree addicted to.

Archived