Marketing Livenews

I'll be shooting a week long sporting event in March and was planning on uploading through Live News.

Does anyone know how and to whom Alamy markets the images?

Does it make sense to reach out to photo editors beforehand to give them a heads up?

3 hours ago, DCSmith said:

I'll be shooting a week long sporting event in March and was planning on uploading through Live News.

Does anyone know how and to whom Alamy markets the images?

Does it make sense to reach out to photo editors beforehand to give them a heads up?

If you are able to contact newspapers directly, why wouldn't you upload to them directly?

They're sailing magazines specifically, but I'm just trying to get a sense of how Live News works.

Do newspapers or periodicals have to subscribe to it?

Can you link to the feed or more specifically your images in the feed?

If you are familiar with the magazines you should be able to tell were they source their images. If it's anything like the aviation press then it'll be from contributors who send them in direct. Live News is for instant or next day publication. The Alamy news team push out the stories to picture editors who they think will be looking for such images, although they are also visible to anyone that may be searching. 

It may be worth tweeting some of the Alamy images.  If you use relevant hashtags and use the .@ approach to the relevant magazines twitter feeds they will see the coverage.  If you include a link to the relevant Lightbox you will make the picture editors job very easy and hopefully lead to sales.

Actually, I called Alamy and spoke to someone at the news desk who said if I provided them with a list of magazines in advance of the event that they would try to contact any that are not already on their list.

Archived