Unreported usage of unwatermarked image

This is an odd one! We sold an image in August for Presentation use to a UK buyer. First time this image has sold and it is only on Alamy.

Within a week it shows up on a Chinese website - unwatermarked.

How can that be??

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

This is an odd one! We sold an image in August for Presentation use to a UK buyer. First time this image has sold and it is only on Alamy.

Within a week it shows up on a Chinese website - unwatermarked.

How can that be??

If you are certain that it hasn't been published anywhere online by yourselves, or sold elsewhere, then the obvious implication is that it has been used outside of the license terms and then ripped off by a Chinese Website.

4 hours ago, Avpics said:

Ask CR if they have a record of the use. Send the link and image ref

4 hours ago, Avpics said:

Ask CR if they have a record of the use. Send the link and image ref

I’ve asked them. They say 

‘We’re not sure how they managed to get hold of the unwatermarked image. The license we have doesn’t relate to this use and we can’t see the image being used anywhere else online outside the terms of the current license.’

So how does a Chinese website access an unwatermarked image? Worrying.

19 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

I’ve asked them. They say 

‘We’re not sure how they managed to get hold of the unwatermarked image. The license we have doesn’t relate to this use and we can’t see the image being used anywhere else online outside the terms of the current license.’

So how does a Chinese website access an unwatermarked image? Worrying.

If you want to, then provide the Alamy image code to see if others here can help you find a usage. I always love a challenge! 

Of course, the other possibility is that the 'presentation' license was for an email 'newsletter', which was then used by one of the recipients.

9 hours ago, losdemas said:

If you want to, then provide the Alamy image code to see if others here can help you find a usage. I always love a challenge! 

Of course, the other possibility is that the 'presentation' license was for an email 'newsletter', which was then used by one of the recipients.

Thanks. Image id is ANNG5X.  I can only find the chinese usage......

Not found much more, I'm afraid, bar two more Chinese sites hosting the same article, at least one of which generates an adware warning, so won't post URIs here.

The poster ( JunCao_Oxford ) purports to be from Saide [sic] Business School, Oxford, so maybe attends and/or receives emails from there? He/she has posted more than 100 articles on sohu.com

Sohu.com (from Wiki): Sohu, Inc. is a Chinese Internet company headquartered in the Sohu Internet Plaza in Haidian District, Beijing. This company and its subsidiaries offer advertising, a search engine, on-line multiplayer gaming and other services.

Sorry, can't find any more at the mo'

1 hour ago, losdemas said:

The poster ( JunCao_Oxford ) purports to be from Saide [sic] Business School, Oxford, so maybe attends and/or receives emails from there? He/she has posted more than 100 articles on sohu.com

A google search for JunCao_Oxford brings up links to the Said Business School.  I might be able to make contact through them. Coincidentally we only live about 3 miles away from the school!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2018 at 09:20, Thyrsis said:

A google search for JunCao_Oxford brings up links to the Said Business School.  I might be able to make contact through them. Coincidentally we only live about 3 miles away from the school!!

On 06/10/2018 at 07:32, losdemas said:

Not found much more, I'm afraid, bar two more Chinese sites hosting the same article, at least one of which generates an adware warning, so won't post URIs here.

Sohu.com (from Wiki): Sohu, Inc. is a Chinese Internet company headquartered in the Sohu Internet Plaza in Haidian District, Beijing. This company and its subsidiaries offer advertising, a search engine, on-line multiplayer gaming and other services.

Sorry, can't find any more at the mo'

Thanks Losdemas for spotting the poster’s name, I missed that! I made contact via linkedin and have referred their response back to Alamy.

So are articles posted on a website ‘blog’ use or ‘website’ use....

Archived