Usage reports by media outlets

griangraf

I wanted to ask if anyone has experience of how long certain outlets take to report usage. The Guardian is the one I am particularly interested in. 

Are some outlets much slower than others? Also, do photos used to link or lead readers to an article but which are not in the article itself count as a sale?

Regards

Liam

The Guardian is among the best and reports at the end of the month following. Some take a lot longer. If a use isn't reported after 3 months, tell MS, but don't bother them before that.

If an image is only used as a thumbnail on the site (isn't that rare?) it still needs a licence.

On 04/10/2018 at 17:45, spacecadet said:

If an image is only used as a thumbnail on the site (isn't that rare?) it still needs a licence.

That's unusual. It's very common for them to carry a thumbnail as a link to the story with an image used in the article, as anyone who uses GIS knows as it will throw up numerous pages that carry the link only. Perhaps the image was used initially in the article but changed later, with the links remaining unedited. Worth keeping an eye on.

On 04/10/2018 at 17:45, spacecadet said:

The Guardian is among the best and reports at the end of the month following. Some take a lot longer. If a use isn't reported after 3 months, tell MS, but don't bother them before that.

It’s now four months, according to the team at Alamy, you should wait to report uses. I’ve got a pile for the end of this month.

Archived