Keywording in LIGHTROOM

4 hours ago, Martin Carlsson said:

I'm so glad that "I fell into" this thread and re-visited the plugin after Sally's persuasive words. It is a slight getting used to (been 2-3 years since I used it last), but the manual has been great.

Now I feel like I have a pretty good grip on it and I can't stress enough how much time I will save purely by not having to delete all the keywords in AIM and paste in my updated ones from LR - that in itself is a godsend!

Huge thank you @Sally you're my personal hero and "forum angel" for some time to come - thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Wow!! I’m so pleased you got it to work and have discovered how useful it is. “Forum angel” might be stretching things a bit far 😎😎😎

On 23/09/2018 at 12:27, Allan Bell said:

After seeing this, "Try to avoid adding alphabetical lists of tags. Proximity of one tag compared to another used in a multi-word search can have an effect on where it appears in the sort order, which is why we’d recommend adding phrases / multi-word tags where appropriate.", in Alamy's advice on tagging I wondered if it might just have something to do with my problem.

NB, "Can" have a effect, NOT "has an effect". Believe what you see more than what you are told.

You must have noticed this in your own Measures results.

Example from yesterday, there was a search for People Make Glasgow (which is the city slogan ATM) - I had ten hits, NONE had this actual phrase in the keywords or caption. Yet my files which most clearly illustrate "People Make Glasgow", with that caption as a keyword phrase) weren't in the top 200 which were searched. Further checking showed that the word 'make' wasn't in the caption or keywords of  these. Bizarrely, I've just checked my port in AIM, and even AIM is throwing up many files which have People and Glasgow, but not the word 'make'.

Example of caption and keywords of one image which showed in the top 200 on the search People Make Glasgow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5elj8rvdj6wy8o/No make.jpg?dl=0

Example of a file with the keyword phrase People Make Glasgow, which did not feature in that search of 200:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ln5gm19jsa3t6bq/People Make Glasgow.jpg?dl=0

My conclusion is that the verb 'make' is being ignored when searching, for some bizarre reason; and that's borne out in my AIM, where People Make Glasgow and People Glasgow both have 361 hits, though make can only be in very few of them. (I didn't check them all, but a random check on c20 had not one with the word 'make' in the keywords or caption, far less 'People Make Glasgow'. 

A sitewide search for People Make Glasgow has 18019 hits, as does People Glasgow, which I'd say confirms my theory QED.

However, searching for "People Make Glasgow" has only 604 hits and is a pretty clean search, at least on the first page. Yet very few searches I see coming through on my measures stats show that people have searched inside quotes. Maybe that's some education Alamy should be doing?

And although not directly relevant to this issue, do a 'relevant' search on Scottish banknotes. Those on the first page which are obviously wrong all have 'Scottish Banknotes' as their caption, but they are keyworded correctly, so presumably an oversight. However, there are plenty of genuine and correctly captioned and keyworded files below the first page. Proving that caption (and/or possibly rank) is trumping correct keywords - to the detriment of search.

From what I can make out Alamy LR Bridge sets up it's own catalogue using collections. (Takes after Capture One).

I have my own catalogue system which works very well, for me, and do not want it corrupted in any way. Nor do I wish to devote time to reorganising it for A-LR-B.

That is how I read the information given.

Allan

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

From what I can make out Alamy LR Bridge sets up it's own catalogue using collections. (Takes after Capture One).

I have my own catalogue system which works very well, for me, and do not want it corrupted in any way. Nor do I wish to devote time to reorganising it for A-LR-B.

That is how I read the information given.

Allan

It adds in its own smart collections in a separate section.  It doesn't alter any other collections that you might have. 

15 hours ago, Sally said:

It adds in its own smart collections in a separate section.  It doesn't alter any other collections that you might have. 

Thanks Sally.

Allan

Archived