lightroom cc mobile suddenly exporting small files

Hi

my normal workflow for live news is, connect camera to phone with otg cable import to lr. quick edit preset, save to device and then upload via ftp. not done any news pictures for a couple of weeks but just noticed the exported files is now only 5mb from a raw that was 26mb!

if anyone can shed some light ot why this might be happening I'd appreciate it.

J

I've only been using this quite recently on an iPad but when you go to save the file you should see an option to save as small or maximum available. I don't know if you can bypass this dialog but maybe you have done that somehow or have set up a preset that does it. Do please come back and shed light if you find the solution as I am still learning this app.

Hi

yes I selected the maximum option. it used to work fine but now even if I try to export the pictures I took a month or 2 ago and re export they are smaller too. it had been previously exporting around a 15mb file. but even the old ones now export at around 5mb. it'd just be good to know why!

JH

27 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

With Photoshop, the save as feature remembers the JPG quality settings and applies them the next time it's used.

Could something like that be happening here?

wim

Maybe somewhere there is something nut to be honest I can't think it is Wim, the last time I used lr cc mob was the the last news picture that worked fine. I'm going to keep trying things but there are very limited settings available to change in lr mob.

JH

Well I can verify that there is something strange going on there. When I export a file at maximum setting, it gives a file with the same pixel dimensions as was imported but the JPEG compression is different so the resulting file is about half the file size on disk as the original imported JPEG. Very odd behaviour. 

I don't think Wim's suggestion can be correct as I have exported at maximum setting and there does not seem to be any obvious way of changing the JPEF compression. I am more interested than concerned as I don't really use LR mobile for anything except to show clients what I am getting during portrait sessions and to perform minor edits such as cropping at the time but all the real work is done later on my computer. Do please report back if you get any answers or figure it out.

I'm too busy right now to check this out in detail but I think it has to be a bug as there is no way to change the jpeg compression on export that I can see or even envisage. As I said I've not used the app until very recently so obviously can't say what it was like in the past but if you are correct and it is only a recent occurrence then it must be a bug. It is unlikely to be intended behaviour sp I presume it will have been reported to Adobe if it is a bug,

I’m using the latest version and am not seeing any issues, its exporting the size of the image as it is in LR...

What is the size of the image being exported?

Use the show info option to display the size of the image in LR .. Is it a large file?

LR will not increase the size of the image available.. (in the past it did increase the file up to the uncropped size), now it exports at the crop...

Edit (added)..

just re-read and you are saying that a 26MB RAW is dropping to about 5MB.. Thats about right when you save a RAW as a JPG... basic compression and the fact that a JPG stores less data in a compressed file format . Your RAW is maybe a 10, 12 or 14 bit file. A JPG is only 8. If the pixel dimensions are the same - its fine... Maybe a quick google and an understanding of the different file formats would be your friend...

On 12/09/2018 at 16:48, MDM said:

Well I can verify that there is something strange going on there. When I export a file at maximum setting, it gives a file with the same pixel dimensions as was imported but the JPEG compression is different so the resulting file is about half the file size on disk as the original imported JPEG. Very odd behaviour. 

I don't think Wim's suggestion can be correct as I have exported at maximum setting and there does not seem to be any obvious way of changing the JPEF compression. I am more interested than concerned as I don't really use LR mobile for anything except to show clients what I am getting during portrait sessions and to perform minor edits such as cropping at the time but all the real work is done later on my computer. Do please report back if you get any answers or figure it out.

On 15/09/2018 at 23:10, Julie Edwards said:

I’m using the latest version and am not seeing any issues, its exporting the size of the image as it is in LR...

What is the size of the image being exported?

Use the show info option to display the size of the image in LR .. Is it a large file?

LR will not increase the size of the image available.. (in the past it did increase the file up to the uncropped size), now it exports at the crop...

Edit (added)..

just re-read and you are saying that a 26MB RAW is dropping to about 5MB.. Thats about right when you save a RAW as a JPG... basic compression and the fact that a JPG stores less data in a compressed file format . Your RAW is maybe a 10, 12 or 14 bit file. A JPG is only 8. If the pixel dimensions are the same - its fine... Maybe a quick google and an understanding of the different file formats would be your friend...

OK I've figured it out. Just to be clear I wasn't talking about raw files, I was talking about jpegs as what you say about importing raw files is what you would expect of course. What I am seeing is that if I import a JPEG into LR Mobile on my iPad, do a few edits and then save it the camera roll or save to files at the maximum available setting, the new file has the same pixel dimensions but is at a lower JPEG quality. For example, I just imported a large JPEG (pixel dimensions 7003x8260) with a file size on disk of 24.1 MB, did a few edits and exported the file. The new file has the same pixel dimensions (7003x8260) but a much smaller file size on disk of 10.3 MB. 

However, there is also an option to export original which I hadn't noticed before. This one doesn't compress the JPEG. Maybe that is what the OP needs to do rather than save to device.

My interest at the moment is purely academic as I don't do news and I am pretty much a newbie with LR Mobile but it is a very useful app with lots of features. 

There are numerous complaints if you google it.  On the Adobe Forum for Apple users since 2014 all the way to 2018 and Adobe has claimed it was fixed in V2.2 in 2016. Still people keep reporting the same problem. So it's not very straight forward. Adobe thinks this was the definitive answer, given in 2016.

Even Scott Kelby gets it wrong several times discussing Raw import.

wim

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Even Scott Kelby gets it wrong several times discussing Raw import.

wim

Well at least he admits when he is wrong down that thread- an admirable quality I think :). I used to find his books a bit annoying, funny first time with all the wisecracks but they wear a bit thin on subsequent reads. However, he really knows his stuff and he has some great books so I have grown to respect him a lot in fact. I have a few of his Kindle books - the one on portrait retouching techniques is top class.

Archived