Hi

Just wondering if photos being sold here can be be uploaded to forum posts or something like Flickr without the watermark. I don't remeber seeing anything about it and i don't know one way or the other?

Also what is the statuts regarding selling photos on other stock photography webiste in regard to RF and RM pictures. What can be sold where, and what can't be?

Alamy doesn't have any rules about uploading to other sites, but it would certainly seem silly to sell the same photo here and also with microstock.  

I don't upload to flckr as its an easy place for someone to steal your photo and use it without permission.  I would put some sort of watermark on it at least, one of yours, not Alamy's. 

I don't know their policy on putting an Alamy watermarked photo elsewhere.  Don't think there is one, but some of the longer time members may know more.

I tend to agree, most "photo sharing" sites are really "photo stealing" sites. They are great places for posting snapshots but not editorial or commercial photos that you want to license. Alamy is non-exclusive (unless you choose to make your images exclusive); so as long as you follow Ed's advice about RM and RF, you can sell your photos wherever you like.

e.g. You could post your black-eyed Susans image on a micro site because it is RF. Your other images are RM, so they would have to leased as RM elsewhere.

Apart from maybe 3-4 images. Not one of my friends, family or work mates have ever seen the photos that I have on Alamy. Buyers trawl sites and if they see an image on Alamy and lets say its going to cost them $400 to license, they will go and see if that same image is on another stock site and license it where its cheaper. This comes from my ex wife who buys images for her job in medical research. 

If I like a particular image that on Alamy, like a nice street shot, then I'll convert it to HDR black and white and put it on Flickr, however, my use of Flickr lately has been very minimal, and I really only put extreme crops of birds or wildlife on there. I use Flickr purely for the BCC coding for forums, however, now I'm watermarking the hell out my images. 

Apart from maybe 3-4 images. Not one of my friends, family or work mates have ever seen the photos that I have on Alamy. Buyers trawl sites and if they see an image on Alamy and lets say its going to cost them $400 to license, they will go and see if that same image is on another stock site and license it where its cheaper. This comes from my ex wife who buys images for her job in medical research. 

A good argument for not spreading the same images around to many different agencies (especially traditional agencies AND microstock).

Archived