Are alamy thumbnails a free for all?

i have just noticed that a commercial site is using one of my images, to sell products.

it is an alamy thumbnail with the ref on etc, does this constitute a breach?

also last week an image i DID sell through alamy, was found and contacted them and got told, as it wasnt exclusive to alamy (it was on my site, heavily watermarked however, and i have never sold that image from my site) that they couldnt persue, despite them not having a usage for that site, and i told them ive never sold it myself, is this right for them to do?

also does anyone have any experience of claiming from canada or switzerland? im uk based.

1 hour ago, skylineboy said:

i have just noticed that a commercial site is using one of my images, to sell products.

also last week an image i DID sell through alamy, was found and contacted them and got told, as it wasnt exclusive to alamy (it was on my site, heavily watermarked however, and i have never sold that image from my site) that they couldnt persue, despite them not having a usage for that site, and i told them ive never sold it myself, is this right for them to do?

also does anyone have any experience of claiming from canada or switzerland? im uk based.

"it is an alamy thumbnail with the ref on etc, does this constitute a breach?"

Yes, of course.  Advise CR.

If I understand correctly, you have licensed one image via Alamy, but you have found a further usage of that same image on another site, which Alamy refuse to pursue? "is this right for them to do?"

Yes, of course.  Alamy have no guarantee, control of or knowledge of what you do with your images outside of Alamy.  You may know, but you have no proof of that, and as Alamy demand no exclusivity, they will not pursue unless you can guarantee that it has never been published online nor offered for license elsewhere, ever.

No.  The question confused me at first: you mean that the infringers appear to be based in Canada & Switzerland?

Try Pixsy or Copytrack.

11 hours ago, skylineboy said:

In my experience many of these sites are either out of the regions where Alamy will pursue, have not an e-mail address on the site (Alamy won't use reply forms), or do not respond to e-mails. In the latter case they will probably not  answer your e-mails neither.  You can look up the domain owner's e-mail address, but often they will claim they only host other users' content and will deny any responsibility. Many of these sites are probably made to gain traffic.

But your case may be different. Please let us know.

Niels

49 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

In my experience many of these sites are either out of the regions where Alamy will pursue, have not an e-mail address on the site (Alamy won't use reply forms), or do not respond to e-mails. In the latter case they will probably not  answer your e-mails neither.  You can look up the domain owner's e-mail address, but often they will claim they only host other users' content and will deny any responsibility. Many of these sites are probably made to gain traffic.

But your case may be different. Please let us know.

Niels

Agree with all of that. There are tons of these websites. However, if they use Google’s Adsense to generate income, then I think the best thing to do is to report the abuse of copyright through Google. The only downside is that (I’m told by my son - a software engineer) that these sites are probably automatically set up so it’s easy for another one to be set up. 

54 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I would also like to know the answer to whether Alamy will pursue these watermarked images being posted on other sites. Though can't anybody download a thumbnail or preview direct from the Alamy site?

Yes, I have copied some of my own images for a presentation. I discovered that the website only allows you to do this up to a limit on any one occasion. 

hi,

thanks for replies and sorry about the confusion i will clear it up now..

1. infringement (if indeed its classed as such) - a car parts site, foreign. using a pic of mine which DID get licenced a while ago (hence why it was being looked for by myself i like to see where they may end up), and its there a pic of the car advertising a part, its an alamy thumbnail with the ref on bottom etc. i assume these arent the genuine licensee.

2. an image again advertising a car, but this time on a "commission based" sales site, aka they sell the car take a chunk for doing so, in switzerland. i have approached the guy and he says that simply he took his own but was given some by the owner of the car (which are my 3 i'm disputing) and hes passing buck etc.

3. another image, licenced by alamy but they have no licence for the site i showed them (which was difficult as i had to use a VPN to fool it into thinking i was canadian as it seems a lot of overseas non uk sites have locked out UK since the GDPR came in!), they told me, we cant be confident it was alamy exclusive so we cant persue (despite them licencing it last year legit, and me absolutely not having licenced this, and on my site its low res, and watermarked across is via pshelter, i think theyve nicked it from the legit licensee).

so i was after advice on if anyone (uk based would be an advantage), chased switzerland or canada, and also is someone using the alamy thumbnail still an infringement.

sorry again for any confusion, i typed it whilst being distracted.

• 2 months later...

Going through a cursory search of my name in Google I came across two sites.....one SELLING two of my Alamy photos that have never been shown as sold and the second having four of my photos available for free wallpaper use.  They all have the Alamy banner underneath the photos.  I didn't click on any of them but to find six in just a basic search with my portfolio size being quite small shocked me.  I followed up with Alamy to see what, if anything, can be done.  It is very disconcerting to see my photos for sale on another site that were submitted to Alamy.

Archived