Hello! This is my first post at the forum...

So, if I have a finger of a person in my image I have to mark it as RM on Alamy, but this image would be automatically marked as RF at another agency and I can do nothing about that. And what? I cannot sell this picture at another agency becautse it is marked as RF by that agency (and RM by Alamy)?

The second question. To sell images preferably as RM here on Alamy I shall chose an option that some private property is shown and I have no release. How else can I assign RM to an image of bananas for example?

Hi and welcome,

You can sell the image at another agency, but it would also have to be RM.  So if it was an all RF agency, it couldn't be put for sale there.

If you don't have property or model release and they are needed, then the image is automatically marked RM.  If releases aren't required, as in the bananas, then you decide if you want it RM or RF.

Thank you for explanation, Maria. Two more questions.

Say, I have an image of a finger. Here it would be licenced as RM.

But there is no way to make the image to be RM at the other agency, It would be automatically or manually marked as RF!

And what to do? Not to sell such an image at other microstocs?

The other question is as follows. If I deside to sell image of bananas as RM at Alamy, so have I say that there is some property in the picture and I have no release or how else I can make the image of bananas RM?

If an image is RF at another agency, you can't list it here as RM. So if it has property or people, you can't sell it here at all. If you have no control over the other agency's listing policy, ditto.

You can list as RM without releases. Just tick 'no' box.

If an image is RF at another agency, you can't list it here as RM. So if it has property or people, you can't sell it here at all. If you have no control over the other agency's listing policy, ditto.

You can list as RM without releases. Just tick 'no' box.

Thank you!

Had to delete almost all RM images. )

Thank you for explanation, Maria. Two more questions.

Say, I have an image of a finger. Here it would be licenced as RM.

But there is no way to make the image to be RM at the other agency, It would be automatically or manually marked as RF!

And what to do? Not to sell such an image at other microstocs?

The other question is as follows. If I deside to sell image of bananas as RM at Alamy, so have I say that there is some property in the picture and I have no release or how else I can make the image of bananas RM?

If you decide to sell the bananas as RM here on Alamy, you don't have to say there are releases needed (that you don't have) to make it RM.  If there are no releases needed, you will get to choose if you want to make it RF or RM. Otherwise, if releases are needed and you don't have them, it automatically chooses RM for you and you don't have any option to change it.

Yes,  that's the box where you can choose RM or RF if there aren't any license issues.  It will be greyed out and RM chosen for you if a licence is needed that you don't have.  Otherwise you can choose yourself.  

There are several discussions on this forum about the merits of choosing RM vs RF and you may find them helpful.

• 1 year later...

I have been selling photographs of plants in other websites. Only recently I have started uploading pictures of nature including buildings, roads, mountain ranges and waterfalls. I follow a simple rule following Alamy advice (if you don't have model or property release, we can still sell them as RM), my photographs without a building I list as RF, those having persons (I take care that persons in the frame are not identifiable) or buildings I list them as RM. Please correct me if I am wrong.  

I have been selling photographs of plants in other websites. Only recently I have started uploading pictures of nature including buildings, roads, mountain ranges and waterfalls. I follow a simple rule following Alamy advice (if you don't have model or property release, we can still sell them as RM), my photographs without a building I list as RF, those having persons (I take care that persons in the frame are not identifiable) or buildings I list them as RM. Please correct me if I am wrong.  

Everything correct just you dont need nescessary to make the people not identifiable. Just choose on attributes that there is 1 person and that you dont have a release. Then the photo can be sold under editorial license. The same with property.

Mirco

Say you have a picture of a finger. If there is a innocuous saucer in the picture, you would need a release for the finger, but not the saucer. So if you have a release for the finger, you may list as either RM or RF, BUT you must be consistent with how it is listed elsewhere. Alamy requires a release for body parts, so if you have the finger image as RF elsewhere with no release, you can't upload it to Alamy.

Period. Exclamation Point!

Now, if that image of the finger has an iPhone, or other easily identifiable object in it, box of branded salt or such, you would need a property release. So even though you have a release for the finger, but not the iPhone, you can't list it RF on Alamy.

Some here might say the saucer needs a release, but a quick search will show you all sorts of food shots with patterned dishes sold as RF, right or wrong.

I know this is confusing. When I first joined Alamy, I mistakenly thought every shot with people in it had to have a release. I didn't understand releases weren't needed for RM. I deleted scads of good, saleable images. Why did I take them in the first place? I was a new photographer and I shot everything I saw, lol.

Actually it is not directly the point "RM" that a release is not needed. It is the fact that the image can be used for "editorial use ONLY (not commercial)" on Alamy when the image is RM and has no releases when nescessary. Editorial Use Only is the key.

RF:  Can be used Editorial and Commercial

RM without nescessary releases: Editorial Use Only

RM with releases: Editorial and Commercial.

Mirco

Archived