On what basis does Google pick up Alamy pics?

Just done a simple experiment. Looked, using the Google reverse image search engine, for two of my Alamy photos from the same recent upload.

For one it found ten occurrences, all Alamy and in various languages, while for the other, nothing. 

Does Alamy promote certain shots but not others or is this just a quirk of the search engine?

Just occurred to me that maybe my own searching for image use has affected the Google result. Presumably once a search has been carried out the image remains within Google's memory?

21 hours ago, Bryan said:

Just done a simple experiment. Looked, using the Google reverse image search engine, for two of my Alamy photos from the same recent upload.

For one it found ten occurrences, all Alamy and in various languages, while for the other, nothing. 

Does Alamy promote certain shots but not others or is this just a quirk of the search engine?

Did you keyword them at the same time and did they go on sale during the same Alamy database update?  If not, maybe it's just a delay between Google's reverse image search web crawlers finding the first and second image, or a delay in how long it takes Alamy to generate the crawler compatible pages?

Mark

54 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Did you keyword them at the same time and did they go on sale during the same Alamy database update?  If not, maybe it's just a delay between Google's reverse image search web crawlers finding the first and second image, or a delay in how long it takes Alamy to generate the crawler compatible pages?

Mark

Keyworded at the same time Mark, probably within minutes of each other. 

I know from searching for images used in the papers that some are found by Google, some by Tineye and others are not picked up, despite being years old. I am currently looking for a photo of the Barclays headquarters building, used in today's Times, that neither engine can find. I have seen  that crops are more difficult for the bots to spot, maybe that's the case in this instance, but maybe not. It's all a bit mysterious!

On 4/24/2018 at 05:20, Bryan said:

Just occurred to me that maybe my own searching for image use has affected the Google result. Presumably once a search has been carried out the image remains within Google's memory?

if your signed into a google account, such as in an android phone, or pc, like i am on both counts, they filter out self searches for ranking purposes.

Archived