Tate Modern Re-visited

A while back some of us had images removed that were taken inside the Tate Modern.  I'm sure one of the reasons given was that there was a notice banning photography for commercial use at the entrance.

I was there yesterday and I searched all around the entry area and could not find any notice about photography.  The entry is free so no contract is entered into as far as I understand.

Any thoughts ?

29 minutes ago, John Walker said:

A while back some of us had images removed that were taken inside the Tate Modern.  I'm sure one of the reasons given was that there was a notice banning photography for commercial use at the entrance.

I was there yesterday and I searched all around the entry area and could not find any notice about photography.  The entry is free so no contract is entered into as far as I understand.

Any thoughts ?

right on the website..no commercial use. http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-gallery-rules

It’s an extremly complicated subject and not being a lawyer...

Precisely for the Tate I don’t know

But from what I understand you have a few things to take into consideration:

- the building was renovated/converted to a museum by Swiss architects Herzog & De Meuron - and they have intellectual rights on their design

- artwork inside the building can also be intellectual property

- the exhibition design can also...

- even graphic design in and outside the museum is copyrighted...

- photographing people can also be problematic

At best imho you can sell the pictures as editorial?

I got a mail a while from Alamy regarding photos I took from the grande arche de la defense in Paris. A company that owns the intellectual rights (the architect is deceased) asked to add to the caption the copyright of the architect. No problem with that, on the contrary!

Since then I decided to add the designer/architect... where relevant.

On entering the Tate in St. Ives last week I was told (without even asking, and I wasn't carrying an obvious camera) that photography was OK in the first few galleries but not the later ones. No distinction on commercial versus non-commercial was made, and I didn't ask. But then I wasn't taking any pictures anyway.

There's also been recent some stuff in the media about Bradgate Park asking artists and photographers to buy a permit if they want to sell their pictures of "Old John". See article here.  Looks like there might be a legal challenge here.

I've been in touch with the Park's Trustees and they've told me that photographs of Old John I sell for editorial purposes aren't included. Plenty of scope for confusion methinks (photographer gets commercial gain, but usage is non-commercial). 

Mark

Archived