Tags and search results

After I thought the search engine was working "properly" I'm back to not understanding the search results again!  I have several images with a super tag "Easter Island museum" a lot of images are showing up after images that have these tags separately (never mind that they are not even of Easter Island museum, that's another story).   So what's the point of super tags and combining multiword keywords into one tag?  

I’m about halfway through editing my images uploaded over the last year, based on what I’ve learned in this forum, and other reading, about keywords and tagging. However, there is still a lot that is simply guesswork. I feel strongly that we shouldn’t have to guess what works best, or even have to do experiments to find out. I do wish Alamy would give some examples of photos and their suggestions of how best to keyword, though I appreciate that there is not one ‘correct’ answer. For example, how am I supposed to know whether I should use ‘Edinburgh skyline’ or ‘Edinburgh’ and ‘skyline’,  or whether it doesn’t matter?

What I end up basing it on is the best way to organise my keywords in my Lightroom keyword hierarchy. 

5 minutes ago, Sally said:

I’m about halfway through editing my images uploaded over the last year, based on what I’ve learned in this forum, and other reading, about keywords and tagging. However, there is still a lot that is simply guesswork. I feel strongly that we shouldn’t have to guess what works best, or even have to do experiments to find out. I do wish Alamy would give some examples of photos and their suggestions of how best to keyword, though I appreciate that there is not one ‘correct’ answer. For example, how am I supposed to know whether I should use ‘Edinburgh skyline’ or ‘Edinburgh’ and ‘skyline’,  or whether it doesn’t matter?

What I end up basing it on is the best way to organise my keywords in my Lightroom keyword hierarchy. 

We will never know, because if you ask Alamy, they will give you the standard line "we can't reveal the secrets of the search engine, follow our advice, add super tags and combine keywords". Which is what I'm doing, but I'm frustrated because the people who don't follow the advice are placed higher in the search results.

Archived