Page of possibly unreported Live News images in The Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/1155548/its-a-bank-holiday-washout-rain-and-cloud-blankets-most-of-the-uk-but-theres-a-heatwave-on-the-way/

I've just discovered an image of mine used among a page of Alamy Live News weather photographs from May 2016 which I've not had reported as a sale. I've emailed CR to look into my image, but thought I should bring this up for attention so other contributors can be made aware. Due to the lateness of the hour I don't have time to reverse search at this time.

Forgive my naivety (as a newbie),  but surely this just shouldn’t happen. How can a national newspaper purchase images from Alamy without the sale being recorded within a reasonable time period? If this can happen, then there is something seriously wrong  with the system. 

It shouldn’t be up to contributors to spot these uses. 

Sadly it happens. The papers seem to be be allowed to take what they want without going through any channels because of the urgency of their publications, then use an honesty box at some point in the future. Far from ideal

10 hours ago, Avpics said:

Sadly it happens. The papers seem to be be allowed to take what they want without going through any channels because of the urgency of their publications, then use an honesty box at some point in the future. Far from ideal

Yes, I understand that they would need to be able to do that, but Alamy’s system must have some way of knowing who has downloaded a photo and when a photo has been downloaded. If they can’t do this, then I think they need to get a system in place that shows them automatically which downloaded photos don’t match their sales records. I’m no IT expert but that surely must be possible.

Yes, you would think so.

I've found some more from 4 September via a search on my image with the women crossing Westminster Bridge which I've not had reported. I won't find out until Monday whether this was a reported sale.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/1514204/uk-set-for-week-long-downpour-as-rain-and-wind-lashes-the-country-before-gales-smash-through-the-weekend/

11 hours ago, Sally said:

Forgive my naivety (as a newbie),  but surely this just shouldn’t happen. How can a national newspaper purchase images from Alamy without the sale being recorded within a reasonable time period? If this can happen, then there is something seriously wrong  with the system. 

It shouldn’t be up to contributors to spot these uses. 

+1

That's why I opted out of the newspaper scheme, given the prices and the time involved in finding, reporting, and chasing up, to get 50%.

Same applies to the distribution scheme, and that's why I am opting out of that as well.

Posted by Rob Cook

13 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Yes, you would think so.

I've found some more from 4 September via a search on my image with the women crossing Westminster Bridge which I've not had reported. I won't find out until Monday whether this was a reported sale.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/1514204/uk-set-for-week-long-downpour-as-rain-and-wind-lashes-the-country-before-gales-smash-through-the-weekend/

I admire your tenacity looking for these. I have been uploading a lot of weather photos to Live News in recent months, but it would be extremely time consuming to Google search them to find unreported uses. Unless you could do a batch search. Maybe I will ask my son if there’s a way to do this, or to set up a macro or something (he is previous Google engineer).

Another two of mine there too. Unusual, because The Sun are usually very good at self-reporting (from my experiences here at Alamy and at other news agencies that I work with)

And, yes, LiveNews is a totally different thing to the Newspaper Scheme....and the rates you get are significantly  higher

km

2 hours ago, Sally said:

Yes, I understand that they would need to be able to do that, but Alamy’s system must have some way of knowing who has downloaded a photo and when a photo has been downloaded. If they can’t do this, then I think they need to get a system in place that shows them automatically which downloaded photos don’t match their sales records. I’m no IT expert but that surely must be possible.

Hi Sally, it is regrettable, but does occasionally happen - papers don't need to download an image, Alamy send them directly to the picture desks.
It's pretty nigh impossible for anyone to track every use in every edition, online and print, of every newspaper, so it relies heavily on the honesty system.
As Keith says, the Sun are usually very good - and if anyone would know, then it would be him, he sells a lot of live news stuff.

If you do find one, take a screen grab, and copy the url. With this info, CR will chase it for you, and you'll get paid.

If you have the time, do a google reverse search on your live news shots about a month after you uploaded them, it sometimes brings in a little bonus ...

:)

1 hour ago, TeeCee said:

If you do find one, take a screen grab, and copy the url.

The screen grab is important, because, especially with weather stories, the pictures  used can sometimes be changed (not simply added to) over the course of the day. If you're doing that sort of news it's always sensible to check the various tabloid online pages a couple of hours after filing the pix, just to see if anything has been picked up... (The Sun are voracious users of images, as are, to a lesser extent, The Star and Mirror)

km

3 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

The screen grab is important, because, especially with weather stories, the pictures  used can sometimes be changed (not simply added to) over the course of the day. If you're doing that sort of news it's always sensible to check the various tabloid online pages a couple of hours after filing the pix, just to see if anything has been picked up... (The Sun are voracious users of images, as are, to a lesser extent, The Star and Mirror)

km

You could spend as much time searching online newspapers as taking and processing photos, it seems...

checking online takes only a few minutes.....and it's just another part of the workflow

For example, I have a browser shortcut that takes me straight to the Sun's site, with a search for 'Aberystwyth' pre-configured. If they're using one of my weather pix then that search will pull up the story in a second or two.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/?s=aberystwyth

You can amend that to your usual location and use it yourself

km

49 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

checking online takes only a few minutes.....and it's just another part of the workflow

For example, I have a browser shortcut that takes me straight to the Sun's site, with a search for 'Aberystwyth' pre-configured. If they're using one of my weather pix then that search will pull up the story in a second or two.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/?s=aberystwyth

You can amend that to your usual location and use it yourself

km

Ok, thank you. I have several locations... but will certainly make it easier. But my sales will be few and far between, if any, so the incentive is a bit lower :)

Archived