Keywording in Lightroom - anyone else frustrated?

11 minutes ago, CM photo said:

I'm not seeing this, perhaps my preferences are not set up for it.  But in any case, it seems to be more hassle than it's worth  - I think I'll stick to keywording in Lightroom, where keywords can be nested, as in Bridge, although I have to admit it could be a lot more intuitive than it is!  

Thanks for your help, though - I may come back to this at a later date when I have more time.

Chris

You need to change your Camera Raw Prefs in Bridge to Save Image Settings to xmp.

However, I would strongly suggest keywording in Lightroom  as you say - there is no advantage to using Bridge (order of keywords is irrelevant according to Alamy outside of multi-word tags) and there are a lot of advantages to using Lightroom.

53 minutes ago, MDM said:

You need to change your Camera Raw Prefs in Bridge to Save Image Settings to xmp.

However, I would strongly suggest keywording in Lightroom  as you say - there is no advantage to using Bridge (order of keywords is irrelevant according to Alamy outside of multi-word tags) and there are a lot of advantages to using Lightroom.

Yes, I agree.  I'm a big fan of LR and having been using it since version 1 - I just thought Bridge might bring something new to my workflow.  Putting together a nested series of keywords in LR when you already have thousands of individual keywords listed is not a viable option; dragging, say "wolf" up the list to "animals" takes forever - and then you have to do it all again with "zebra"!  Life's too short.

Chris

1 hour ago, MDM said:

38 minutes ago, CM photo said:

Yes, I agree.  I'm a big fan of LR and having been using it since version 1 - I just thought Bridge might bring something new to my workflow.  Putting together a nested series of keywords in LR when you already have thousands of individual keywords listed is not a viable option; dragging, say "wolf" up the list to "animals" takes forever - and then you have to do it all again with "zebra"!  Life's too short.

Chris

And getting shorter every day. Bridge is a file browser, Lightroom is a DAM and a whole lot more. It may not be perfect but it's very good and the latest upgrade (Classic not the other thing) is a big improvement in terms of speed. Having used Bridge for several years before I went the Lightroom way, I have first hand experience. I've had the arguments with the Bridge proponents here before so not intending to do so again. Life really is too short.

5 hours ago, Graham said:

I have therefore decided to have a look at IMatch, which gets consistently good reports.  I downloaded the trial yesterday, and made the mistake of trying to import all my RAW photos to see how it performs, instead of just a few.  24 hours later, it is still chugging through them (and currently the progress box says 26 hours and something remaining...).

Graham

Something wrong there - I've been using IMatch for years and never had a problem like that.  I suggest you ask on the IMatch forum - Mario will respond very quickly.

Something wrong there - I've been using IMatch for years and never had a problem like that.  I suggest you ask on the IMatch forum - Mario will respond very quickly.

Yes, he did - essentially I am putting in a very large number of files but IMatch should be able to cope once ingested. 

Do you use it for your keywording?  If you do and are willing to share your thoughts, I would be very interested to know what you think of it.

Graham

4 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Keywording with Imatch

I hope you find it useful.

Wow, thank you so much for doing this - very informative.

My computer crashed (not IMatch's fault) and I had to do a complete image restore from last weekend's backup.  I have a busy few weeks coming up so I have decided to put my evaluation on hold and resume again later in November.  Hopefully having restored the computer to a state it was in before I installed IMatch, I will get my intended 30 days trial, but we shall see.

Graham

Archived