Looking to My Images today i noticed a behaviour that makes me think again to the relationship between CTR and similars.

When i initially upload a batch of images which contains let's say 3-5 similars per subject i see a huge number of views for these images, let's say hundreds.

I have these pictures foundable by "classroom Mali Africa" which initially returned 200-500 views/week for about 100 pictures.

I guess that was probably because customers filters "New" so ALL my pictures of that topic were displayed in the search.

At that stage 200-500 views/week for "classroom Mali Africa" were too much and in fact my CTR was affected and a few zooms and sales resulted.

So, similars were badly affecting CTR but there was a benefit for me: at least 1 picture out 5 similars was the right one for customers and they bought some.

Today, for the similar search i've let's say 30 Views (the ones more appreciated by customers) but these Views are only of the best performers with more chances of zooming so my CTR is higher.

In the long run, similars not interesting for customers will disappear from searches so they'll not represent any issue at all.

Let's sum.... similars generate customer curiosity if the topic is interesting, so not bad at all if viewed in this perspective right? :)

I have a similar set of images on flyboarding.  I think I have around 40 of them, but the flyboarder is doing something different in almost every image and they are different people as well.  I've sold a few and funny thing, a couple have been of ones I had thought of not uploading.  So similar subject, but not similar image, I think that is the difference.

Jill

It makes sense to give customers a range of images to choose from of any particular subject, while avoiding unnecessary duplication. You will not know precisely what a buyer is looking for in an image, could in terms of orientation, copy space, human interest, or context etc.

Having said that I have noticed some contributors submitting a series of very similar shots, maybe at slightly different focal lengths or angles, which is not going to help.

Archived