Does anyone upload to the news route via Photoshelter FTP?

I'm attempting to set up upload via FTP to the Alamy news route through my Photoshelter site.  I can connect via FireFTP (which I normally use), but I can't connect through the Photoshelter site.  Has anyone done this?  Any tips?  It works for other agencies and it would be great if I could get things uploaded to Alamy via this method as well.

Thanks.

Richard, I am working on migrating my two websites on Zenfolio over to Photoshelter. In Photoshelter (at least the new Beam product), you can set up outgoing FTP clients.  From the menu, go to Clients > FTP Outgoing.  Here, you can add sites.  This allows you to upload a gallery to your agent.  I have two agents set up (Alamy Live News and another) and am working on figuring out how to add other agents.  I've sent a message to member services to see if there is a non-live news FTP route for regular submissions at Alamy as well.

I haven't tried this with Alamy yet (I will after next newsworthy event) but the great thing about this is my projected workflow going forward for newsworthy images...

• Import images to Lightroom - cull images and adjust exposure, keyword, etc.
  • Upload images to a gallery in Photoshelter
  • Simultaneously FTP images to agents (since this is on the Photoshelter server, you don't have to have your computer turned on to do this)
  • Email the gallery to local editors via Photoshelter directly.
  • Log in to agent to finish processing when necessary (i.e. to Alamy after news feed import but before integration to the main collection)

This saves me a TON of time.  I would be REALLY happy if it was possible to do this for standard collection images.  Basically, images are available for licensing immediately via Photoshelter, within 30 minutes via other agents, and put in front of image editors (my contacts) as fast as the email can get there.  If I'm working in the field from a laptop, I can set to FTP via the Photoshelter web site and shut the laptop down and keep shooting until the next time I have a break.

Hello Ed,

Please could you elaborate on your upload via PS method, please? I hadn't considered doing so and it might not suit me but I'd love to know more.

Thanks,

Richard.

You need to get permission from Alamy to use the FTP method and get the username/password details.

I asked for them and was politely refused. I guess you need to be sending to Alamy all the time to be getting those privileges. It's a pain in the butt using the Flash uploader, especially out in the field when you have to rely on Flash within a browser instead of a simple FTP client.

That all sounds excellent, Ed. I hadn't even considered the multi-ftp route, relying on sending my batches to Alamy, PS and Corbis all separately. The complication of course is that Alamy News and my other destinations need differing Headlines and Captions (and file sizes too) so I need to adjust each before Sending ..

Alex, I see that Alamy tells us:

"The News FTP tool is for committed news, sport and entertainment photographers and agencies," so I probably don't qualify as I upload News only a few times a month and I'm not an agency anyway.

But in principle, Ed - your planned method is sound. 

Let us know how you've done.

Richard.

Alex, I see that Alamy tells us:

"The News FTP tool is for committed news, sport and entertainment photographers and agencies," so I probably don't qualify as I upload News only a few times a month and I'm not an agency anyway.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Yes I see that and like you I only upload news to Alamy a few times a month.

Still, they stress the importance of getting news images in as quickly as possible but then don't give us the tools to do it.

Alex.

.. don't give us the tools to do it.

Well I've never had to use my iPad to select, caption and send News material (although I did try once using Photogene but gave up and went home to upload) so the ftp route isn't, to be honest, as vital as perhaps yourselves. But should I ever want to send something really special and I'm far away from base, then I'd be stuck.

That prospect scares the hell out of me.

Richard.

Archived