Hello from Staffordshire, England

djaphoto

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello.  I've been on alamy a good while now but only really started uploading this last 12 months.

I am looking forward to pushing my work alot more in the editorial sector and will be utiising these forums for some well required help.

I thought my kewording and titles were ok but I think they can be drastically improved somewhat.

There appears to be some very knowledgeable photographers on hear and I look forward to getting to know some of you and hopefully learning from you guys too.

Many thanks

Philippe makes a good point that some of the keywording in some of the pictures at Chasewater needs revisiting.

Giving the benefit of doubt, I assume you keyword using the Alamy Image Manager rather than lightroom? It looks to me like you selected all of your images that you took at Chasewater (either accidentally or otherwise) and tagged them all at the same time. I can see words like 'tow' and 'cable' would be relevent to the pictures containing the water skiing which you presumably took at the same time and uploaded in the same batch.

I have happy memories of going on a week long sailing course at Chasewater when I was a child. :)

Thanks for the replies much appreciated. 

Yes I think I did fall foul of copying the same description as they were uploaded in a bath for news, I must address that and a rehaul of my current gallery will be first port of call.

Yes Chasewater is currently a hive of activity with waterskiing wakeboarding and sailing, the investment has made a huge difference and I see some potential for photos there too.

I use the lightroom for description and keywording of news uploads and I need to watch as it predictive text writes from previous inputs so I shall be sure to not become lazy and make sure each image that requires a different descriptuon rightly has it

Thanks again and I look forward to spending more time here

10 minutes ago, arterra said:

Thanks for replying (most don't).

I've just checked some more images and there are lots of irrelevant tags and irrelevant captions. Better check them all.

A few random examples: JW6Y7NJW7140H9CPDJFBJJM1FBJHNY / etc....

Remember: irrelevant tags not only annoys picture searchers because they have to wade through lots of images which have absolutely nothing to do with what they are looking for, but it also has a very bad effect on your ranking resulting in your images being pushed back. Images not seen >> no sales. So, don't take captions and tags lightly. Those are even MORE important than the image itself. 

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks very much philippe I appreciate you taking the time to look through some of my images.

I realise my misstake now as they were a batch news upload and think I applied the same tags etc to all from that shoot (wrong I know( and I will now go through and correct individually.

Normal stock uploads I key in the info 1 by 1 but I must now learn to that on batch news uploads.

Thanks again it's appreciated

5 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Welcome Daniel,

Just to back up the above, captions and keywords mean a huge amount, and you shouldn't underestimate just how vital it is to get them correct.

With your Live News images, I see that you have quite a few similars (I do Live News too so I understand how that happens). I'm guessing you copy the tags to all of a batch of Live News images before uploading to Alamy? The tags aren't searchable (at least I don't think so???) until after they've moved from Live News to stock, after 48 hours, at which point they go on sale as soon as the database has it's daily update. So you're then left with a load of similar images, all tagged, and many not accurately.

It would be better if you didn't bother with tags before uploading Live News images, as you'll get them up faster and they aren't needed. Then go back and just add tags to the best ones. to ensure they are found nearer the top of searches once they move from Live News to stock.

By the way, I checked all your portfolio and noticed you have no photos of cows? I'm honestly disappointed. It should be a requirement to have at least one cow photo on Alamy in order that your images are seen by clients (ignore me, I'm a nutter).  :D

Geoff.

Hi Geoff thanks for the reply!

You hit the nail on the head I think. what I do its tag all for news in a rush and then realise they all then need revisiting afterwards when they hit the library sales. What I should do is save time and like you say tag them afterwards individually and save time effort and the risk of never going back to them to redit and having them not seen by potential buyers.

Sorry about the cows although you have just given me an idea...we have some lovely belties by us grazing open heathland/shrub for the summer; they would look beautiful in my profile 😎

Thanks for the input again much appreciated indeed

13 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

By the way, I checked all your portfolio and noticed you have no photos of cows? I'm honestly disappointed. It should be a requirement to have at least one cow photo on Alamy in order that your images are seen by clients (ignore me, I'm a nutter).  :D

A greenie for making me laugh :-)

1 hour ago, arterra said:

Remember: irrelevant tags not only annoys picture searchers because they have to wade through lots of images which have absolutely nothing to do with what they are looking for,

Never has there been truer words!

1 hour ago, Matt Limb said:

Never has there been truer words!

Many a jest is spoken in true words.

Allan

On 16/08/2017 at 14:40, GS-Images said:

You're welcome Daniel, glad to be of help.

I look forward to seeing the cows.  :)

Geoff.

Just for you Geoff (and potential buyers lol) I have uploaded some belted galloways for you into my gallery ;)

http://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?&xstx=0&userid={ADB9D253-8C9D-41A4-8772-3F05932D7D19}&name=Daniel+James+Armishaw&st=12

1 minute ago, GS-Images said:

Thank you!  :)  They are great photos. I had a look at a few of your others too, and I have to say I'm impressed. Some great windsurfer ones too. I've tried many times to get wind and kite surfers (mainly kitesurfers where I live) but rarely manage to get them particularly sharp, as they are usually out in windy cloudy weather when the light is low, and my poor lens (great though it is) needs a bit more light to freeze movement.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff for the kind words!

The kitesurfers as you say are very tricky as they are out in windy conditions, it needed the 300mm 2.8 for these to be tack sharp and a steady hand.

I had a look through some of yours too very nice library you have. I did see some that had no caption or tags, not sure if you are aware of this?

1 hour ago, GS-Images said:

Thanks Daniel, and you're welcome. I thought you probably used a 300mm, and I was thinking it would be an f4 as I didn't know a 300mm f2.8 was available. I'd certainly love such a lens! The best I have is a Sigma 150-600, f5-f6.3. It is a very nice lens but the aperture lets it down.

A lot of my most recent images are Live News ones, which don't have tags to start with. They do all have captions though, or they wouldn't be accepted onto Live News. Maybe one was missed somehow?

Most my Live News ones aren't great quality because they are camera-processed while I'm out, so I have to rely on the camera to create jpgs. I adjust them if I can but it's pretty hard to see what I'm doing when out in daylight (many I took this morning are poor, but you won't see them in my port yet). That's just the way it goes with Live News though, and can't be helped. I do wish they wouldn't appear in my portfolio unless I choose to have them there, as people looking will often see a load of poorly processed images and lots of similar ones, not realising they are not stock photos but Live News.  :)

Geoff.

I hear you mate, same with my recent blooper with news images and since I started this thread most people are seeing the live news ones which aren;t anywhere near my best images, nevermind hopefully by tomorrow alot more of my stock will show through and represent my work better.

The ones with no captions or any info were the ones where a guy is stretching his leg on a small fence, amongst the runner photos? Also an old guy on a bike. Just thought I'd make you aware if you didn't already know, that's all.

Regards,

Dan

Archived