Glencoe Trademarked!

Phil Crean

To be fair, it's not our own beloved NTEW but NTS. They may have shot a teddy-bear, but unjustifiable threats of legal action are themselves actionable, which is why they are backpedalling in case he applies to have the trademark revoked. When he establishes prior use I hope he sues the NTS.

Shame we photographers haven't got someone to fight our corner as he intends to fight his.

He should seek to have the trademark revoked as there is just too much prior use, not just by Hilltrek. Glencoe has been used frequently as a product name for decades. I am amazed it was awarded in the first place, especially so recently. I had a trademark application rejected for much less clear cut prior use.

They're awarded if no-one objects unless they fall into one of the unacceptable categories.

Unfortunately challenging is expensive if opposed, and if the NTS is anything like as oppressive as the NTEW, it would be.

However, in a pig's eye does NTS own all the land which could be referred to as Glencoe. The dreaded purple border on the OS map is quite limited.

I imagine NTEW and NTS may have noticed what happens when such letters get posted on social media...

The power of social media and the damage it can do to your brand and reputation is becoming quite significant.

Is there a little ® on the the road signs when you enter Glencoe? I think not.

Mark

Archived