Alamy.de

Alamy, this is driving me potty.

I'm in Germany at the moment, but I need to access the English site - otherwise it's not possible to get into the Image Manager or the Forum. This has always been possible in the past. However, now this is only possible by going to Mein Dashboard first and only then I'm able to select the English site. It's not possible to set the German language on the German Alamy homepage. 

I'm on Windows and use Google Chrome.

I assume buyers might have the same problem. 

Needless to say that I have to this one over and over again if I exit the page.

You could always try downloading the Opera browser (a variant of chrome with some added features). The current beta version allows unlimited VPN access. If I use the German VPN connection it will bring up Alamy.de so if you use the England proxy you should get the UK site OK.

Out of curiosity, are you using a computer with a German operating system? I'm in Germany but have an English operating system and the dashboard comes up in English.

If I've recently cleared out the cookies, the main Alamy page comes up in German until I scroll down to the bottom and change the language to English.

On the same note, something I have found very strange for a while is that on the alamy.de home page, if you scroll down to the bottom where the different tabs for 'clients' 'contact alamy' etc. are, the entire 'selling on alamy' section is missing. This includes any link to the forum, as that is the last point on the 'selling on alamy' list.If I then change the language settings from German to English, it switches to alamy.com automatically, and hey presto, that whole 'selling for alamy' section, including the link to the forum, is there. (win/chrome also, but on PC at the moment, same on the laptop though. Will be in Germany next week so may check if I have similar problems to vpics) 

Yes, but that's more of a help/how to area. If you scroll to the bottom, within the dark blue area, there are five tabs. On the  .com version one of them is "Selling on Alamy", with 8 sub points, the bottom two are FAQ and Forum. That tab is missing on the .de version. May just have been a glitch when they did the German site, no idea.

5 hours ago, DDoug said:

Out of curiosity, are you using a computer with a German operating system? I'm in Germany but have an English operating system and the dashboard comes up in English.

If I've recently cleared out the cookies, the main Alamy page comes up in German until I scroll down to the bottom and change the language to English.

It's a UK computer. Everything used to be fine. When I used to be in Germany, I just changed the language once and everything was fine, now I have to do it every time. 

26 minutes ago, vpics said:

I think the German website was developed for buyers rather than sellers. 

I've noticed that Google translates the captions automatically, too. :-(

Yes, bit weird though,  as there are plenty of contributors from Germany and lots of stuff coming through on the live news site as well (non syndicated/agency).  

I didn't realise that was google translate. If so, then as automated translations go, I think the captions/keyword translations are actually not too bad, certainly better than the usual Google translate stuff. But it does miss out on some things and gets words wrong, of course, nothing is perfect. 

Archived