Memory Recall Mode RX100

Hello All

I am trying to configure my RX100 M3's memory recall options and was hoping for some feedback.

I was thinking of setting up M1 for walkabout, quick access opportunistic settings:

shutter priority

Shutter speed:1/320 (I think this is fast enough for most outdoor situations, though I have also read that 1/250 should be capable of handling most movement)

Quality: RAW+JPEG

ISO: 400 (hopefully this isn't going to result in anything too noisy)

Drive Mode: continuous

Focus mode: continuous AF - ( I would want to be able to refocus on any moving target)

white balance: daylight

metering mode: not sure - wouldnt center metering be more appropriate?

aspect ratio: 4:3 (I am still not 100% sure about this, but my impression is that 3:2 is preferred for landscapes....) or is this more relevant for how the image will be viewed (as in on a monitor / tv screen). Is aspect ratio only relevant for output?

A note I found earlier states:

Always use the native resolution/aspect ratio.For RX100, it's 3:2 5472×3648; all other settings (4:3, 16:9 etc) are just crops from this resolution.

Why throw away part of the image? You can always crop afterwards for the print size.

==============

For M2 I was hoping to reserve for landscape / architecture

aperture priority

Aperture : F5.6

Quality: RAW+JPEG

ISO: 125

Aspect ratio : 3:2 (?)

white balance: daylight

Focus mode: single shot AF

metering mode: multi

One doubt I have, is that setting the memory recall isn't 100% necessary since the SCN mode can help you quickly set up the right configuration for any number of situations. (Mark C helpfully shared a link with me where some respected contributors to Alamy were even saying they just stayed on AUTO for their photography). Since the RX100 is packed with presets to help you in most situations (and which we have paid for), is it not better  to just flick over to SCN mode and find the right setting for your situation?

Thanks,

David. 

I am not sure if you have worked out how to set up the presets, if not, here is how you do it.

1.    Switch the camera on and set it to what you want to record as Memory 1.

2.    Press Menu and go to Camera Page 7 bottom line “Memory”

3.    Press the centre button and screen will show “Select Register”, with “1” highlighted at the top.

4.    Check that the settings are what you want and press the centre button again.

Those settings are now  saved under “1”.

When you want to use it, switch on the camera set to “A”,  turn the mode dial to “MR”,  check that “1” is highlighted and press the centre button again.

Further settings can be made the same way for  “2” and “3”.

If you start using a stored setting, and zoom to something else, before switching off, switching back on in "MR" will not give the stored setting.

If this happens, change to A and then back to MR and it will work again.

Trust this helps. . .

6 hours ago, Peter Jordan said:

When you want to use it, switch on the camera set to “A”,  turn the mode dial to “MR”,  check that “1” is highlighted and press the centre button again.

Further settings can be made the same way for  “2” and “3”.

If you start using a stored setting, and zoom to something else, before switching off, switching back on in "MR" will not give the stored setting.

If this happens, change to A and then back to MR and it will work again.

Trust this helps. . .

That's good advice about having to retrieve the original memory settings after switch on, if you had previously overridden any of them. It's the one thing I wish the RX100 didn't do. My Canon G15 and Lumix G5 Both revert back to the original stored memory setting when turning off and then back on.

Why do you say turn to "A"? I find I can turn it to any setting other than MR and back again, so turning to M or movie is quicker as they are next to MR. Or have I misunderstood?

On 6/9/2017 at 9:24 AM, DJ72 said:

aspect ratio: 4:3 (I am still not 100% sure about this, but my impression is that 3:2 is preferred for landscapes....) or is this more relevant for how the image will be viewed (as in on a monitor / tv screen). Is aspect ratio only relevant for output?

If your normal workflow includes editing the photos you've taken, I'd leave the RX100 on 3:2 format whatever I was doing. Why throw pixels away during shooting? If you leave it on 3:2 you will have more cropping options available to you later when you can spot things that have crept into the frame that you hadn't noticed when shooting, or to recompose the shot, for example possibly moving the main subject off centre (rule of thirds). 

Thanks Mark and Peter.

I now have a shutter speed, and aperture priority settings saved in MR1 and 2. Mark I promise to never ask about aspect ratio again, 3:2 it will be!

One question I do have is around metering mode. When setting up a shutter speed priority MR, which mode should I choose? Likewise for an AP priority MR, which metering mode? My feeling would be multi for the AP and center for the shutter speed priority.

By the way, another way to return to the previous MR settings is when you turn the camera back on (still in MR mode, no need to change the mode dial), just press the menu button, then select Memory Recall (screen 7) , then choose your presets 1,2, or 3, and the original settings will be there. 

7 hours ago, DJ72 said:

One question I do have is around metering mode. When setting up a shutter speed priority MR, which mode should I choose? Likewise for an AP priority MR, which metering mode? My feeling would be multi for the AP and center for the shutter speed priority.

It was a close call for me between using centre weighted or multi. In the end I went with multi and I'll see how I get on.

7 hours ago, DJ72 said:

By the way, another way to return to the previous MR settings is when you turn the camera back on (still in MR mode, no need to change the mode dial), just press the menu button, then select Memory Recall (screen 7) , then choose your presets 1,2, or 3, and the original settings will be there. 

Yep that works too. But if you've been anywhere else in your menu system, it can be loads of button pressing to get back to the the right menu option. Rotating the mode dial back and forth, is much quicker. 

Thanks Peter, only just this morning I read in the guide book that the multi setting "is best used for scenes with even contrast, and for action shots" - so yes, that pretty much confirms for me that Multi is the only setting I need. But thanks for confirming!

DJ

Archived