So Alamy charges customers in GBP for photographs, does that mean they should pay me 50% of the GBP converted to USD? Why did they pay me 50% of USD?

Also, there is further deduction. I understand maybe it is tax? But their website says they deduct up to 22% but in my case, they deducted up to 50%? I really don't see this as a fair deal here. Can someone please help make me understand?

So Alamy charges customers in GBP for photographs, does that mean they should pay me 50% of the GBP converted to USD? Why did they pay me 50% of USD?

Also, there is further deduction. I understand maybe it is tax? But their website says they deduct up to 22% but in my case, they deducted up to 50%? I really don't see this as a fair deal here. Can someone please help make me understand?

You can always quit.

Alamy charge customers in different currencies depending on where the customer is based. It can use your IP address to determine where you are based. So someone sat in London might be charged in pounds but someone based in New York would be charged in dollars. Even though it is a British company, Alamy does it's accounting in dollars as it works internationally. So if someone buys an image in pounds, that gets converted to dollars.

Alamy take 50% of what they get. The photographer gets 50% of what Alamy gets. The image you quote with a 22% reduction could have been a distributor sale perhaps? If so, it sounds like the distributor took 22%. Alamy then took 50% of what was left after the distributor had taken their 22% .. .this is my best assumption based on what you've said.

I'm not sure what the 22% you are taking about is.  Maybe you can explain further.

Archived