Third party laptop batteries help

Anyone using a third party/generic laptop battery?

There seems to be a big difference in price between a genuine Dell and third party battery. Worth paying the extra for genuine Dell?

I`ll back in the UK for a couple of weeks in April and need a new battery for my Dell 15r SE 7520 laptop.

Joe

I have mixed experience with third party batteries. Last time I bought a laptop battery I searched for an OEM (Samsung) battery as the original battery had lasted such  long time before it failed; much better than any previous experience with third party batteries. I found an unused original, inc packaging, on eBay.

Be careful, there is a lot of (careful but misleading) use of "original" in the description of third party batteries even though they are not original equipment.

Despite using a third-party battery in my camera (came free with the camera) I'd avoid generic batteries given all the issues with exploding batteries.

If it's a known manufacturer I might consider it but generally I stick with OEM.

No problems here after a few months with an £11.99 generic on a Dell. They probably come from the same factory as OEM. Unless the seller is manifestly dodgy why spend another £50?

They MIGHT be made in the same factory but not necessarily to the same standards. For a good chunk of my IT career I worked on production systems for manufacturers supplying ostensibly the same product to multiple large retail (or oem) customers; I have seen that the quality is different, often substantially. The manufacturer's customer in such circumstances gets what they specify, and are prepared to pay for.

Remember many OEM products,and their clones,  like batteries, may even be designed, or at least closely specified, by the customer including price by, the manufacturer's customer.

I have had decent and SERIOUSLY BAD third party clones products. I get very picky these days.

Archived