It's been a while - do we still not sharpen?

RAW default sharpening is fine, of course.

Once or twice a year I may sharpen a marginal one a bit and downsize it

I've just put up an old jpeg. It needed a bit of help- probably why it was overlooked during my bad QC patch a while back- so 20 sharpen and downsize to 3250 did the trick.

BTW, it's odd working on OOC jpegs after a couple of years on RAWs. They're just not, well, all that sharp.

RAW default sharpening is fine, of course.

Once or twice a year I may sharpen a marginal one a bit and downsize it

I've just put up an old jpeg. It needed a bit of help- probably why it was overlooked during my bad QC patch a while back- so 20 sharpen and downsize to 3250 did the trick.

BTW, it's odd working on OOC jpegs after a couple of years on RAWs. They're just not, well, all that sharp.

Amazing the difference, isn't it? You don't get so many artifacts working with Raw, also.

Try this in LR or PS. Develop module or ACR.

Sharpening anywhere up to 38.

Important!

Then use the masking slider holding down, I think the Option key on a Mac, figure it out on PC. When you slide, take the slider to where skies, backgrounds, etc go black, but you can still see the outlines of your main subject. You are in fact masking out the parts you want no sharpening applied, and moderating the amount applied to the subject.

I do this on a few images using sharpening at 35-38. But only with masking. The sharpening looks good and subtle. I've never had a failure from oversharpening.

Watch out for noise on the subject, though. It doesn't play nice with noise. Once you've done it, inspect at 100%.

Betty

Archived