Creative post-processing on Alamy

What post-processing is acceptable on Alamy?

- black & white

- vignetting

- bluring part of photos

- color toning

- hdr

I never submitted images that are imo over processed... And wanted to know:

- if they are accepted?

- sellable?

Seems to me that many such images are used in blogs, newspapers when it come to non news remated articles like travel, lifestyle...

I have done everything you have mentioned in images submitted to Alamy except black and white.  Figure customer can do that if they want.

Some may have to be classified as digitally altered, but Alamy doesn't check that, that is up to the photographer to let the customer know.

Jill

I only upload creative images but since creative sales are so low compared with editorials I really see no point in too much processing or "special" processing. That will sell really well at many other of the trad agencies and even at the leading micros.

I find my kit lens does a pretty good job of vignetting on its own.

Seriously though, I leave it to the buyer. I have only one b/w and it's a "Schindler's List" sort of a job. It's never sold and neither has the unaltered version.  Selective saturation is about as far as I go, usually on skies but sometimes to zip up a building. That's not manipulation in my book, nor Alamy's.

This is one I have sold.  Originally, it was a daytime image, grey water, grey sky, very flat, really really boring.  So I used the radial filter in ACR to make it look like sailboats in the moonlight.  I did mark it digitally altered with an explanation in the description field of what changes I made.

sailboats-in-moonlight-on-lake-ontario-F

Jill

I wonder about that myself, haven't had the guts to try the creative stuff with filters on Alamy just yet. I usually upload the base picture here since it is a stock site and buyers might want to get creative themselves using my pictures as a baseline. I tend to upload my over the top processed products to print on demand sites. But I do have some B&W here.

I wish to point out that black and white rendering is a creative process that leaves lots of room for variations. It is possible that a customer can do it himself/herself but it is also possible that the customer might like your rendering better than what he/she could do.

Archived