Release option

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but can somebody properly explain to me the different release options when I submit my images?

It's probably really obvious, but if you don't ask.........

A model release is for any people appearing and identifiable in a picture. You must download a standard form, get them to sign it, scan it and upload when you keyword your picture. Property release  is the same but relates to any property, be it unmoveable property, anything identifiable that belongs to someone, and brand names, trademarks and business names. You are quite possibly ok if you take a picture of something, such as houses, from a public place, but you definitely need PR if you are photographing private property whilst on private property (this can also include permission from council authorities on what you think is public property, but requirements vary immensely by place and country - bit grey). Again you need the appropriate person to sign, scan it and upload. Releases are necessary for commercial ends i.e. advertising or marketing uses. Editorial usage (eg. magazine articles and books) does not require any releases, however it's a good idea to get them if you can as it increases the sellability and profitability of a picture. (get in the habit of carrying a sheaf of blank forms around in your camera bag).

Adult release

Minor Release

Property Release.

There's also a 'Sensitive release" for subjects beyond the scope of the standard release.

You can find a number of templates available on the internet in such places like ASMP. Alamy offers one in PDF format.

There are also a couple of Model Release Apps for iOS. No idea about Android.

Easy Release is available for both Android and iOS.  Get a touch screen stylus for signatures.    Phones and small tablets fit easily in most camera bags.   You use the camera in the phone or tablet to take the reference photo of either person or property.   My understanding is that Alamy accepts these releases.   For me, what's handy is I can generate the release in either Spanish or English (not sure all the languages available).  Bought it for both my Android phone and my iPad Mini.  

Adult release

Minor Release

Property Release.

There's also a 'Sensitive release" for subjects beyond the scope of the standard release.

You can find a number of templates available on the internet in such places like ASMP. Alamy offers one in PDF format.

Which release would you recommend? I know Easy Release has been mentioned, but are there others? Is the Alamy version available on an iPad or iPhone? I don't want to be scanning pieces of paper if I can help it.

Adult release

Minor Release

Property Release.

Which release would you recommend? I know Easy Release has been mentioned, but are there others? Is the Alamy version available on an iPad or iPhone? I don't want to be scanning pieces of paper if I can help it.

I bought Easy release several years ago and haven't kept up to date on what's currently available. The iTunes shows several apps available for iOS. Google Play probably has similar ones for Android. ASMP had a bare bones beta version that I believe was free. No idea if that's still available.

Also, if you use software like FileMaker for mobile devices you can probably create a release that will integrate with the desktop application. 

Archived