LR4 Problem

Hi all

I am having an issue with lr4 metadata input all was fine yesterday but i have just started to process a few images for upload and it refuses to input the metadata, what i have on preset is added with no problems but when i try to add additional information IE location, description it will not accept it, i can type the information in but when i go to the next section the it just clears disappears.

Your help please

Liam 

Hi all

I am having an issue with lr4 metadata input all was fine yesterday but i have just started to process a few images for upload and it refuses to input the metadata, what i have on preset is added with no problems but when i try to add additional information IE location, description it will not accept it, i can type the information in but when i go to the next section the it just clears disappears.

Your help please

Liam 

Liam,

When you say you have input the metadata, do you mean keywords?  I can see no reason to add to the metadata that is already added by LR.

Chris

Strange. Are you talking raw files and, if so, have you set automatically write changes into xmp in the Catalog settings? For other file types, I would have suggested checking to see if the files are somehow locked or have been made read only but you say that you can input metadata by preset. Have you tried just inputting something in say the Description field and then clicking in another field. Does it stick then when you go on to a new file?

I input into one field then go to another but as soon as i click away the information that was added to previous field disappears, the fields that are covered by preset are general ones, ie creator, job title, website and so on.

As i stated above all was fine yesterday but it is happening with all files now.

Liam       

You still haven't provided enough info here in fact. I don't know what's up. I've not come across this and can't figure out why it would be happening beyond being a file permissions issue or perhaps something up with the database if you are storing metadata there rather than in xmp files.

When I have a problem I can't solve in LR or PS, I reset the prefs although I'm not sure I've ever done it in LR. This is how it's done if you want to do it although it doesn't mention LR4: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/recover-catalog-images-resetting-lightroom.html

But perhaps check your catalog integrity before you do this by setting it to backup - it will automatically check the integrity.

Or you might want to ask this in the LR forums http://www.lightroomforums.net  but you need to provide full info - file types, are you storing in xmp etc

Bought Lightroom 6

Tried it

Hated it

Ditched it

I continue using Bridge for keywording and for browsing my images I use the simple (and free) software "Photogallery" (Windows). I see already all wanted images BEFORE I even type the last letter of the search words :) Works lightning fast! Searches in keywords and captions and arranges the search results per date.

Simple and efficient!  ;)

Euh! That wasn't much help, was it? Sorryyyyy .....  :unsure: 

Cheers,

Philippe

It might help me Philippe. Thanks, will give Photo gallery a try.

Since my Windows 7 computer died I had to act quickly and ended up with Windows 10 on which CS6 refuses to run, so am left with Lightroom 4 and CS5. Never really got away with Lightroom but am muddling through and still getting through QC; see if I can get the old system repaired in the new year.

Thanks for listening everyone, you can get back on topic now.

Joe

Bought Lightroom 6

Tried it

Hated it

Ditched it

I continue using Bridge for keywording and for browsing my images I use the simple (and free) software "Photogallery" (Windows). I see already all wanted images BEFORE I even type the last letter of the search words :) Works lightning fast! Searches in keywords and captions and arranges the search results per date.

Simple and efficient!  ;)

Euh! That wasn't much help, was it? Sorryyyyy .....  :unsure: 

Cheers,

Philippe

It might help me Philippe. Thanks, will give Photo gallery a try.

Since my Windows 7 computer died I had to act quickly and ended up with Windows 10 on which CS6 refuses to run, so am left with Lightroom 4 and CS5. Never really got away with Lightroom but am muddling through and still getting through QC; see if I can get the old system repaired in the new year.

Thanks for listening everyone, you can get back on topic now.

Joe

Sorry Philippe, I misunderstood you before as I was reading the forum on my phone and not near the computer to check things out. Looks like I'm stuck with LR4 and CS5 for now and have to make the most of it.

Archived