Which camera should I buy? PT. 2

Having read up on the Nex, though, it seems great and a very helpful sort of camera!

Just be aware that it's very easy, especially on small cameras, to inadvertently press a button or nudge a dial that alters your settings. I've learned to check the settings on the NEX6 in the viewfinder before taking a shot. If the camera has been slid in or out of a pocket since the last shot they're quite likely to be different from what I was expecting! Yes, this can happen on any camera but the NEX seems quite prone to it.

Alan

This is true. It took me awhile to get used to the close-together buttons and wheels on the NEX cameras. I still inadvertently hit the wrong control now and then. Fortunately, I have only average-sized hands (bigger than Donald Trump's, though). It must be difficult for people with really big paws to use small cameras.

Point and shoots can be handy especially as back-ups and if you get one that shoots RAW, and gives you lots of options, it may not be a bad place to start if you can't afford a DSLR. I often take my Nikon P7000 along as a backup and I like the ultra wide to close up zoom, like in this photo:

the-honorable-heather-somer-mayor-of-gro

Read up, take lots of photos, watch lots of videos, maybe take a class on digital photography at your local Community College and good luck!

Hi, the Nex does shoot RAW and jpeg. (Don't know what those are yet!) And yes it does a lot of things the photographer should do, so that seems good for a beginner.  Think I've picked a good camera to suit me.  I have started with the instruction videos.  There are are plenty, luckily.

That's a superb photo.

Vickie :)

Have fun with your new camera! As mentioned, small cameras are great because you can take them anywhere. I carry my small one (rx100) in a little pouch that just fits the camera, which can be worn on your belt, or, as I do, on a thin cross-body cord. Very easy access.

I also recommend taking a class at a local school on how to use the bells and whistles of your camera. When I first moved to digital, I signed up with a class at a local art centre and learned a lot.

Maria

Thanks for your advice.  I actually carry too much around with me already (got a bag like Mary Poppins') so do want a small camera.

Vickie.

Point and shoots can be handy especially as back-ups and if you get one that shoots RAW, and gives you lots of options, it may not be a bad place to start if you can't afford a DSLR. I often take my Nikon P7000 along as a backup and I like the ultra wide to close up zoom, like in this photo:

the-honorable-heather-somer-mayor-of-gro

Read up, take lots of photos, watch lots of videos, maybe take a class on digital photography at your local Community College and good luck!

Hi, the Nex does shoot RAW and jpeg. (Don't know what those are yet!) And yes it does a lot of things the photographer should do, so that seems good for a beginner.  Think I've picked a good camera to suit me.  I have started with the instruction videos.  There are are plenty, luckily.

That's a superb photo.

Vickie :)

Thanks Vickie! Enjoy the learning process and your new camera!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived