Which camera should I buy? PT. 2

As has been suggested, look for a second hand FUJI Pro bodies.  Someone suggested the S3, which I did not like at all.

I would say that 1/2 of the images I have currently have on Alamy were shot as Large RAW files on FUJI S5's or S2's

at 800 ISO or less.  The FUJI Pro bodies are also DX format, so the glass will be less critical as long as you pay attention

to your aperture.

For £300 or thereabouts, the Nikon D3300 with zoom lens kit new is an excellent starter kit. Excellent quality 24MP images, a world of 2nd hand Nikkor lenses and it even does very good video. They were on sale last winter for less (I got one for my son then) but maybe brexit sinking the £ has had an effect as the prices seem to have gone up. In any case, if you can persuade Mum, I would recommend this rather than the old technology people have been recommending.

"Alamy, has, for better or worse, a no editting policy"

A no editing policy?  What do you mean?  I've submitted 20 photos to date, and all have passed QC and the first four made it into selling stage with digitally modified set to "yes".  So no editing pertains to... What?

Yes Alamy does edit for technical content. But do not edit as in a curated collection, or for image content.

Allan

Don't wish to go on....  Appreciate all your help.  What I think I want is a simple camera that I don't have to add loads of lenses or 'accessories' to...

Appologies naughtygoat your post got sidetracked as sometimes happens on these forums.

Yes if that is whet you want then who are we to judge.

If you go that route then make sure the sensor is 4/3rds minimum and preferably larger 1" or ape-c.

Please keep trying with Alamy.

Allan

Don't wish to go on....  Appreciate all your help.  What I think I want is a simple camera that I don't have to add loads of lenses or 'accessories' to...

Appologies naughtygoat your post got sidetracked as sometimes happens on these forums.

If you go that route then make sure the sensor is 4/3rds minimum and preferably larger 1" or ape-c.

Allan

Which camera would you recommend then?  I had a look at the mentioned cameras and the Sony Nex seemed too complicated.  But not the Sony rx100.  What about a Cannon 3 or 450?  I will certainly listen to the advice given here.  Better than a Camera magazine as stock images are the only route i expect to find any monetary/sucess in at the moment.

Vickie.

It's not the idea to have loads of lenses and accessories straight away, it's having the option to have these by carefully choosing your camera system. You don't want to have to change after accumulating some lenses. Having used both, I would have no hesitation in saying that Nikon is well ahead of Canon  at the mid to higher end in certain important respects - not relevant to you right now but who knows where the road will take you. The Canon 350 and 450 are pretty ancient cameras by the way. Do have a look at a Nikon D3300 if you get a chance. I don't know about Sony and the Fuji and what's available at the lower end but that Nikon is a bargain. 

Allan

Which camera would you recommend then?  I had a look at the mentioned cameras and the Sony Nex seemed too complicated.  But not the Sony rx100.  What about a Cannon 3 or 450?  I will certainly listen to the advice given here.  Better than a Camera magazine as stock images are the only route i expect to find any monetary/sucess in at the moment.

Vickie.

The trouble is, I'm not sure it's possible to buy a 'simple' camera these days.... :wacko:

I'm not familiar with the Sony range but I use a Nikon D7200 and sometimes a Panasonic Lumix GF2 (bought 2nd-hand - no problem with QC).  Both these cameras have user manuals as thick as your arm but they both also have simple 'point and shoot' modes.  I'm sure the Sony Nex would have the same - so you can make it as simple as you like to start with, then gradually try the more 'complicated' settings as you gain more experience.

Allan

Vickie.

Well I do use a Sony RX100 as my carry about camera when I do not want or need to use my Nikon system. It is the original RX100 not any of the later marks. I have many images on Alamy taken with that camera.

But they are around £150 to £200 I believe.

I do not have knowledge of other compact cameras.

All the compacts at the higher level than simple point and shoot will have lots of settings for you to try, but they can be used as point and shoot until you become more conversant with them.

In general point and shoot only at the lower end have tiny even minuscule sensors which Alamy term to be unable to produce the quality of image they require for their clients.

Good luck,

Allan

Buy one with lots of good photographs in it.

This broke me up.  Thanks for my laugh of the day.

Now that I'm posting, may I suggest the OP consider future-proofing your work?  I mean squeaking in with a camera that's the bare minimum today may limit your efforts in a few short years.  My previous work with 4-6 Mp cameras hardly ever sells today and is not even eligible for many image outlets (if you expand your efforts in future).   You may not need upwards of 36 Mp images, but aim higher than you think.

Allan

Vickie.

The NEX cameras can be as simple or as complicated as you want them to be -- i.e. you can put them on auto everything and snap away or use manual settings.

If you're considering the RX100, here is a review of the original (first) version written by someone who used to be an active member of the Alamy forums.

Buying a used Sony RX100 MI is an excellent suggestion. 

Probably, given the available cash, but I would be inclined to buy from a dealer offering a guarantee.  A friend has one, and loves it, but its been back for repairs on two occasions.

you wont "learn" much about photography with a fully automatic camera. You would learn with a canon 350 or 450 and you have a proper SLR that you can buy extra lenses for. I use a canon 5D and lenses and have been shooting stock for more than 30 years. My wife has a Canon 350.... I could probably earn my living with just a Canon 350 .( but it does not shoot video) Peter

YouTube has many videos on the Sony RX100 and other cameras. This is just one:  

Frankly, you should learn some basic photography before trying again to submit images to Alamy or any other stock agency. 

I will have to to be able to use the camera  ;)

Don't wish to go on.... Appreciate all your help. What I think I want is a simple camera that I don't have to add loads of lenses or 'accessories' to...

Allan

I agree, sorry if this was sidetracked, that's partly on me. As Allan said, keep trying!

I'm still licensing pics from an (ancient) old Canon 400d.  Probably can be bought dirt cheap from the likes of mpb or similar, point being, don't get a camera that you'll outgrow in 6-12 months.  Bung it on program & click the shutter.

Many thanks all.  Forum has sold me on RX100.  I will be using the automatic settings until I get used to my new toy!  Great stuff.

You won't go far wrong with that choice naughtygoat.  As I've said before the 4000 images in my collection are from a Sony RX100 left on full auto.  All you need is a good eye for a stock picture and composition.

Even the monochrome archive images were copied using the RX100.

Click on the number of images to the left of this post under my avatar to see what is possible with this quality point and shoot camera.

If you want to learn more as you go along, the camera does have full manual settings too.

John

Don't wish to go on.... Appreciate all your help. What I think I want is a simple camera that I don't have to add loads of lenses or 'accessories' to...

Allan

I agree, sorry if this was sidetracked, that's partly on me. As Allan said, keep trying!

Feel free....  I thought maybe your photos might have been rejected because too repetitive possibly...

Thanks again all.  Such nice, helpful people!  My heart really is sold now on the rx100.  probably have to spend a bit more than a hundred but that's o.k.   Most likely will get an extra camera in a year or more for more money.  I will remember these suggestions.  i am perusing ebay as we speak.  :D

Hi all,

Thought you might like to know I have bought a Sony Nex 6, as recommended by John Mitchell.

As it turned out, I couldn't find a cheap enough rx100, then saw a bargain on the above (i believe) -  £160.00.  Second hand.  Had to have a camera NOW of course but am very happy and excited about it.

Have realised now from looking at cameras and the forum that I have A LOT to learn about photography.  Should be fun though.

By the way, someone was saying in a different thread that this is the best forum they've been on.  I was suprised to find such  lot of help and plain sense on 'social media'.  I remember rocking up in an Ebay forum once and asking 'So which is the best product to sell', and being collectively answered 'Nobody's gonna tell you that!'  Twats.

Thanks again,

Vickie.

Archived