Which camera should I buy? PT. 2

I think you'll be happy with the NEX-6. It's a versatile little camera. I've been very pleased with mine.

The learning curve will probably be fairly steep, especially if you're new to photography. Fortunately, there are plenty of online instruction videos out there.

The Sony support page is also worth checking out.

Good luck.

I think you'll be happy with the NEX-6. It's a versatile little camera. I've been very pleased with mine.

The learning curve will probably be fairly steep, especially if you're new to photography. Fortunately, there are plenty of online instruction videos out there.

The Sony support page is also worth checking out.

Good luck.

I am new to photography and have just noticed the gaping chasm in front of me.  Not daunted though.  As you say, there are a million different forums/videos/blogs...  If I never earn a penny I will enjoy my hobby with  good 'tool'.

Vickie.

I use the NEX6 as my carry-anywhere camera when I can't be bothered to lug the DSLR around. With the 16-50mm lens it slips into a pocket easily. I've got quite a few pics from it on Alamy, though oddly the only one that's so far sold is this one which I nearly didn't upload as it's so boring.

bus-stop-in-a-side-street-sowerby-bridge

Alan

I remember rocking up in an Ebay forum once and asking 'So which is the best product to sell', and being collectively answered 'Nobody's gonna tell you that!'  Twats.

Erm... you'd get a similar response here, I think, if you asked "what subjects sell best on Alamy". This kind of knowledge is hard-won, along with the technical - and aesthetic - side of photography. Consider me one of the "twats"...

I remember rocking up in an Ebay forum once and asking 'So which is the best product to sell', and being collectively answered 'Nobody's gonna tell you that!'  Twats.

Erm... you'd get a similar response here, I think, if you asked "what subjects sell best on Alamy". This kind of knowledge is hard-won, along with the technical - and aesthetic - side of photography. Consider me one of the "twats"...

OP, you should remember that this isn't one of the usual anonymous chatrooms. It's a professional forum. You'll get a lot here, but not what sells.

OP, you should remember that this isn't one of the usual anonymous chatrooms. It's a professional forum. You'll get a lot here, but not what sells.

Not entirely true.

On the other hand I would be far more interested to know what does NOT sell. Now that would save me lots of time!

wim

That's a very good price for a Nex 6. I've been looking on EBay but with the 16-50 lens they are £250 plus. Do you mind me asking where you found it ?

Yes, I found that on ebay as well, so snapped up the nex.  it was in Cash Converters, which in Britain here (don't know where you are) is a commercial chain of pawn shops.  they post items if you buy online.  i haven't got the camera yet so don't know the condition.  only told in good, full working order.....:)

I use the NEX6 as my carry-anywhere camera when I can't be bothered to lug the DSLR around. With the 16-50mm lens it slips into a pocket easily. I've got quite a few pics from it on Alamy, though oddly the only one that's so far sold is this one which I nearly didn't upload as it's so boring.

Alan

Yes I realised only yesterday that the rx100 would be a lot bigger than the Nex.  Definitely would prefer smaller size for my small hands and lugging around, as I like to be out and about for long periods.

Vickie.

All Twats,

My and my big gob!  When I have some hard won experience I might feel the same way.  Maybe it's a personal choiice.  The Art of photography doesn't really equate with e-bay selling though...!

I left all social media over 5 years ago.  So many Twats, so little time...

Vickie.

Alan

Yes I realised only yesterday that the rx100 would be a lot bigger than the Nex.  Definitely would prefer smaller size for my small hands and lugging around, as I like to be out and about for long periods.

Vickie.

Actually, the NEX-6 is bigger then the RX100. They are very different cameras. The NEX-6 is really a DSLR (without a mirror) in a smaller package, while the RX100 is designed like a tiny point-and-shoot camera.

Alan

Nice composition, so not really that boring.

I've sold lots of images taken with my NEX-6, including three this month so far. Have been using NEX cameras exclusively since 2012. Don't miss the big DSLR at all.

Vickie, I shot with Nikon mostly for years. I did get the RX100 a few years back as a take along camera. I thought I lost it and bought the RX100 mark3. Then found the lost one under the passenger seat of my car. I still have both.

I got rid of my Nikon D800 and am shooting with a smallish Fuji X-T1 withe the X-T2 preordered. But either of the RX cameras fit just fine in my handbag.

I go on a shoot, it is the X-T1. But if I'm shopping or doing things unrelated to a deliberate shoot, it's so nice to dig a RX out. The best camera is the one you have with you, and I always have one of them with me.

3 years ago, before Fuji, I took two cameras with me to St. Croix. One was the huge 36mp D800. The other was the Sony RX100. I'd say comfortably that I used the RX half of the time, maybe even 60%. It's a fine 20mp camera, good lens with a decent zoom, I have a fair amount of images on Alamy shot with it.

Yes, it can be like a point and shoot, but still can be shot like other cameras where you choose Aperture ot shutter speed, or use exposure comp. that said, for most subjects I use one of the auto modes and am very happy with the production.

It is one of the smallest cameras out there.

Betty

That's a very good price for a Nex 6. I've been looking on EBay but with the 16-50 lens they are £250 plus. Do you mind me asking where you found it ?

Yes, I found that on ebay as well, so snapped up the nex.  it was in Cash Converters, which in Britain here (don't know where you are) is a commercial chain of pawn shops.  they post items if you buy online.  i haven't got the camera yet so don't know the condition.  only told in good, full working order.....:)

Thanks Vickie, I am UK based so I'm aware of Cash Converters but didn't know they had an online presence. I'll check them out.

Alan

Vickie.

Actually, the NEX-6 is bigger then the RX100. They are very different cameras. The NEX-6 is really a DSLR (without a mirror) in a smaller package, while the RX100 is designed like a tiny point-and-shoot camera.

Ah well.  I assumed that because people talk of Big DSLR's.  But was watching a review yesterday and it said, and I saw, the small size of the Nex.  Small enough :)

Vickie, I shot with Nikon mostly for years. I did get the RX100 a few years back as a take along camera. I thought I lost it and bought the RX100 mark3. Then found the lost one under the passenger seat of my car. I still have both.

I got rid of my Nikon D800 and am shooting with a smallish Fuji X-T1 withe the X-T2 preordered. But either of the RX cameras fit just fine in my handbag.

I go on a shoot, it is the X-T1. But if I'm shopping or doing things unrelated to a deliberate shoot, it's so nice to dig a RX out. The best camera is the one you have with you, and I always have one of them with me.

3 years ago, before Fuji, I took two cameras with me to St. Croix. One was the huge 36mp D800. The other was the Sony RX100. I'd say comfortably that I used the RX half of the time, maybe even 60%. It's a fine 20mp camera, good lens with a decent zoom, I have a fair amount of images on Alamy shot with it.

Yes, it can be like a point and shoot, but still can be shot like other cameras where you choose Aperture ot shutter speed, or use exposure comp. that said, for most subjects I use one of the auto modes and am very happy with the production.

It is one of the smallest cameras out there.

Betty

I would have bought a rx100 if I could have found one within budget.  Having read up on the Nex, though, it seems great and a very helpful sort of camera!  Am happy with my purchase and definitely only need one camera for now.  Could always get the rx in future.

Yes, I intend to have it in my bag most times, also.

Vickie.

Point and shoots can be handy especially as back-ups and if you get one that shoots RAW, and gives you lots of options, it may not be a bad place to start if you can't afford a DSLR. I often take my Nikon P7000 along as a backup and I like the ultra wide to close up zoom, like in this photo:

the-honorable-heather-somer-mayor-of-gro

Read up, take lots of photos, watch lots of videos, maybe take a class on digital photography at your local Community College and good luck!

Have fun with your new camera! As mentioned, small cameras are great because you can take them anywhere. I carry my small one (rx100) in a little pouch that just fits the camera, which can be worn on your belt, or, as I do, on a thin cross-body cord. Very easy access.

I also recommend taking a class at a local school on how to use the bells and whistles of your camera. When I first moved to digital, I signed up with a class at a local art centre and learned a lot.

Maria

Having read up on the Nex, though, it seems great and a very helpful sort of camera!

Just be aware that it's very easy, especially on small cameras, to inadvertently press a button or nudge a dial that alters your settings. I've learned to check the settings on the NEX6 in the viewfinder before taking a shot. If the camera has been slid in or out of a pocket since the last shot they're quite likely to be different from what I was expecting! Yes, this can happen on any camera but the NEX seems quite prone to it.

Alan

Archived