Royal Academy Summer Exhibition 2016

At the RA Summer Exhibition there is a picture of a classroom near Chernobyl for sale at £26,500.

https://se.royalacademy.org.uk/artworks/jane-and-louise-wilson/7

A quick search on Alamy for 'Chernobyl classroom' brings up a similar shot.

If I did some urban exploring and found a disused factory with trees growing through the windows, what would I need to do to get into the art market?

Submit it to the RA. It's an open competition.

But it's not just a 'disused classroom', is it? It's a disused classroom in Pripyat. You don't drop in there on the way down the road to the chemist's.

Chernobyl has rendered a large piece of Ukraine uninhabitable for millennia. A random picture of an empty building doesn't make a statement about that.

Have you been to the Summer Exhibition? The image is one of a set of half a dozen, each about 8x6feet, hung on the main staircase up to the exhibition halls. The effect is quite monumental. It's not just a big print.

I haven't been to the exhibition, I saw a programme presented by Kirsty Wark.

I'm not sure the Wilson sisters went through the open competition, as the person curating the exhibition wanted to show collaborative works involving more than one artist.

At present it's only individual artists who can have RA after their names, and he wanted to change the rules to allow 'couples'.

The Wilson sisters went to Goldsmiths and have previously been nominated for the turner prize, so I guess it takes years to build credentials.

Agree with Mark.

I celebrate photographers who sell their work for handsome sums, and I'd have thought it in the interests of every photographer here to do the same . . . 

dd

Agree with Mark.

I celebrate photographers who sell their work for handsome sums, and I'd have thought it in the interests of every photographer here to do the same . . . 

dd

Hear Hear!  to that. 

Archived