New To the Site Looking For Constructive Criticism

Gladiatr

Thanks to all who looked at my newbie photos and offered tips on my initial block of photos.  The comments were most helpful indeed.  I have since added about 150 more which hopefully are better composed and better processed post photo.  Still have much to learn.  It will be interesting to see if I ever actually sell a photo.

Best Regards.

John Tresnicky

Austin, Texas

Hi John

I just had a look at your more recent pictures and noticed that many or even most of your flower pictures are not properly focused. Looks like a systematic problem to me.

You might want to check your gear. Does it properly focus? or are you maybe going too close to the subject without using a macro lens?

Christoph

Edit: typo

Not to mention that a search for "hooded crane" on Alamy now turns up a lot of your East African Crowned Cranes. This is not good for Alamy. Please do a bit of study on cranes.

Paulette

Ah, Philippe, you are a treasure. You've had me going in to my East African Crowned Crane and making sure I have Grey Crowned Crane in the keywords.

Paulette

Phillipe,

You are indeed a resource and your photos are marvelous. 

I did note the need to change some of my keywording and labeling prior to your comment and helpful staff explained to me how to do it.  You missed at least one other bird incorrectly referenced.  What was shown in one photo as a "white stork" is actually a Snowy Egret and I need to fix that one as well. 

By way of further confession to my shortcomings (and at the risk of further flogging), I noted that there are also several "botanicals" on which the labeling and keywording needs to be corrected.  

You are absolutely correct as the to Blue Crane.  I am informed that it is actually the national bird of South Africa.    

As to the "grey crowned crane,"  you are correct that it is not a "hooded crane."  However, I believe it is either the West African Crowned Crane or the East African Crowned Crane.  As I recall, the East African Crowned Crane is more black and the West African Crowned Crane is more grey so, at this time, I am inclined to the belief that it is the West African Crowned Crane.  However, I want to look into that further before changing the labeling and keywording so I don't end up having to do corrections to the corrections. 

The next time I am in SA, I will attempt to verify the "grey crowned crane," the bear, the "wattled crane" and "sandhill crane" with their on-site staff and I will endeavor to make sure the keywording and labeling is correct before posting. 

A most helpful comment from Phillipe whose thoughts are always valuable and appreciated.

Best Regards to All.

John Tresnicky

Austin Texas      

As to the "grey crowned crane,"  you are correct that it is not a "hooded crane."  However, I believe it is either the West African Crowned Crane or the East African Crowned Crane.  As I recall, the East African Crowned Crane is more black and the West African Crowned Crane is more grey so, at this time, I am inclined to the belief that it is the West African Crowned Crane.  However, I want to look into that further before changing the labeling and keywording so I don't end up having to do corrections to the corrections. 

Best Regards to All.

John Tresnicky

Austin Texas      

Hi John,

The East African crane (Balearica regulorum gibbericeps) is a sub-species of the Grey crowned crane (Balearica regulorum). 

As I recall, the East African Crowned Crane is more black and the West African Crowned Crane is more grey so, at this time, I am inclined to the belief that it is the West African Crowned Crane.

It's the opposite, the East African crane is grayer than the Western African crowned crane (better known as the Black crowned crane). Yours is definitely one of the two sub-species of Grey crowned crane (East African crane / B. r. gibbericeps or the South African crowned crane / B. r. regulorum)

The Western African crowned crane has:

• very dark grey - almost black - neck
  • cheeks have a white upper half and a reddish lower half
  • red throat pouch is very small but usually absent
  • eyes are very light grey

I see none of that in your picture. See comparison here.

Cheers,

Philippe

I have to say, Philippe, it's good to see a post that so clearly demonstrates how useful a thorough knowledge of your subject is for stock photography. Or alternatively, the importance of taking the time to do proper research. 

May you be a role model to new contributors ;-) 

David. 

Archived