D9RW06.jpg

I'm about as useless with dogs as I am with plants but I'm hoping a canine aficionado might help me with this little beast - I mean little cutie.

The nearest I've come is French Bulldog but it doesn't look stocky enough. 

I knew I should have asked the owner .. 

Thanks in advance,

Richard. 

A Boston Terrier, no question. But it's a puppy, and as puppies the French Bulldog and the Boston look alike in the head. As they get older they change. But look at your first snap. The legs are already longer than those of a French . . . and the body is smooth and thin. 

One of the great secrete pleasures of NYC is other people's dogs. I get one or two dog kisses everyday. After asking the owner's permission I get down on the dog's level but don't reach out to the animal. I speak to it softly until (hopefully) it comes over and just touches my hand with the tip of its tongue. That simple act puts my taste and smell in the animal's memory, and it will know me in the future.  :)

Am I a breed expert? Maybe not . . . but I can tell a Jack Russell from a Rat Terrier at 100 yards.  B)

Ok Ed, you've won me over!

How can I possibly argue with that demonstration of 'man's best friend'? although here in London, getting on one's knees at jaw-level might be seen as somewhat eccentric - and risky.

Caption is in.

Rgds,

Richard.

Bostons are usually black and white, but you do see brown and white ones. Both these breeds are kind and friendly and good with kids.

You might wonder why I don't have a dog myself. I live in a small flat on the forth floor walkup. But I do love dogs and once a week I walk some from the animal rescue center around the corner. Many are discarded pit bulls and although they are strong and hard to walk I've never had one bite me. Some have lost limbs or are damaged in other ways. It's amazing how quickly a dog can adapt to walking with just three legs. I sometimes think I would be able to learn good French if I had a French Bulldog to talk to.  ;)

Archived