Sony RX10 MKlll goes longer with 24-600mm f2.4-4 lens

Given the Sigma 18-200 and 18-300 Contemporary lenses as well as the Tamron 16-300mm lens get fairly decent reviews, perhaps one would be better off with a low to mid range APS-C body and one of these rather than the Sony, unless 4K video is something you really want. Zooming is manual, so no slowness problem and with APS-C SLRs being as cheap as they are, especially if you skip the latest and greatest, you save money as well. You could always carry a fast prime as well, for low light situations. It still wouldn't be much of a burden.

I am very happy with my RX10 i would not change it unless it was lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair.

I too am very weight sensitive, and while it might be nice now and again to get a bit more reach than the RX10's 200mm EFL, the RX10iii would never be the answer for me.

1051g for the RX10iii compared to 813g for the RX10i, that is a 29% increase in weight.

The similar Panasonic FZ1000 has a 25-400 lens and is 831g, so only 2% heavier than the RX10i.  Maybe that is the specification that Sony should have aimed for.

Sony must be aiming this new RX10 at wildlife photographers with back problems. For the rest of us, what's going on across the lake is perhaps not that important in the moment. My last purchase was the 10-18 Sony zoom for my NEX-6, and that I've been able to make use of. 

Long ago, when I was traveling for airlines, shortly after Mathew Brady retired, I would often bring with me a Nikon 500mm mirror lens, a heavy tripod, and two tele-extenders. I had that kit with me on all my sea-and-sand trips to do one shot: the sun setting into the sea behind a passing catamaran. Clients used to love that shot. One of the positive things about being retired is never having to do that shot again. 

Archived