How long for your first sale?

I got my first sale after 5 months (June 2014) on Alamy with a portfolio of about 580 images.  It had been zoomed a couple of months previously.  After 8 months (September 2014) I started selling regularly and have had only 1 month without a sale since then.  Because Alamy mostly works with business customers there is frequently a lag between customer interest, usage and reporting to Alamy so you probably won't know about a sale until a couple or more months after it's actually been used.  You can't expect instant results but once the pipeline starts flowing it should continue providing you keep uploading work that customers want.

Thanks for the comment John, very informative.

Hello and welcome to the forum, Kate.

For me it was around 10 months and 600 pictures, but a couple of the images that sold in the first batch had been online for only a few weeks.

As others have said, it's a matter of having what buyers are seeking.

Thank you everyone for your responses, and especially your feedback.  I realise I need LOTS more pictures on here and am working my way through uploading more of my portfolio.  I know this business will never buy us a new house, or even a car, but if i could fund a new lens or new body, that would be fantastic.

Thank you everyone for your responses, and especially your feedback.  I realise I need LOTS more pictures on here and am working my way through uploading more of my portfolio.  I know this business will never buy us a new house, or even a car, but if i could fund a new lens or new body, that would be fantastic.

It depends on how much the plastic surgeon charges......

Cheeky.  :)

Allan

Hahaha I realised as I pressed post that there was some ambiguity in that, but one of those would be helpful too.....!

As has been pointed out by Wim and others in other threads in this forum, there are 70 million images here but for a given keyword search there might be very few. Concentrating on subjects where there are likely to be searches but where there are not throngs of competing images helps to increase your chances of success.

i made mine about 3 months after joining and with around 100 images, and this one image sold 3 times, for each of the next one / two months.

yet to have another sale on different image, but i have had success elsewhere.. mainly selling prints etc.

i do have a backlog of nearly 500 uploaded and slowly keywording. heres hoping it will add to the sales.

Archived