Interpolation

alisawildlife

Hi all,

As I've been using in camera crop on my D700 camera some of the images are undersized.

Can someone help on this ?

I tried to save my files as tiffs but my images don't seem to go through.

Need help!

Thanks a lot! 

Alisa

You need to upsize your images in Photoshop or similar. In Photoshop, go Image- Image Size. Make sure Constrain Proportions and Resample Images tick-boxes are  checked. Then enter a new width in the box at the top left which should be set to Pixels rather than Percent. Check the number beside Pixel Dimensions at the very top left. For an 8-bit file, this should be at least 17M to pass Alamy.

In-camera editing is not a good idea in general- way better to edit afterwards.  I presume you are shooting JPEGS which would very likely produce inferior results when you upsize. Much better to shoot raw, crop in the raw converter or editor (Photoshop) and then upsize if necessary. The D700 is an excellent camera but you really should shoot raw to get the best out of it - it had amazing dynamic range when it was released in 2008.

Saving in Tiff has no effect on the Pixel Dimensions (Uncompressed Image Size in Alamyspeak) by the way - only the file size on disk - this is the opposite to what Arterra was referring to in his link - some newbies think they need images 17MB or greater on disk. In your case, it seems you have just cropped down too much in camera and the images are actually too small.

You have some nice pics.

Hi all,

As I've been using in camera crop on my D700 camera some of the images are undersized.

Can someone help on this ?

I tried to save my files as tiffs but my images don't seem to go through.

Need help!

Thanks a lot! 

Alisa

You need to upsize your images in Photoshop or similar. In Photoshop, go Image- Image Size. Make sure Constrain Proportions and Resample Images tick-boxes are  checked. Then enter a new width in the box at the top left which should be set to Pixels rather than Percent. Check the number beside Pixel Dimensions at the very top left. For an 8-bit file, this should be at least 17M to pass Alamy.

In-camera editing is not a good idea in general- way better to edit afterwards.  I presume you are shooting JPEGS which would very likely produce inferior results when you upsize. Much better to shoot raw, crop in the raw converter or editor (Photoshop) and then upsize if necessary.

And do not forget to change to Bicubic Smoother when enlarging the image.

Allan

BTW this should have been posted under Alamy Quality Control and technical queries not here.

Archived