Newsfeed images descrption

I haven't uploaded any images for the news-feed as I would like to ask first. Do I just upload images and leave the "story" to journalists or do I have to write the "story" to go with the images?? (Sorry if this has been in a topic before)

Regards, Davey

It has to be clear which story you are covering. If it's a major news story, most potential users will know what it's all about and just want the pictures to use as illustrations. But other smaller events - or certain aspects of those events - might not be as obvious and including as much info as possible in the caption might improve the chances of the pictures being used. 

For the State Opening of Parliament or a visit of a foreign head of state, the basics will probably do. 

When I covered the Loose Village annual plastic Duck Race, I felt a few more details and background were required.

It has to be clear which story you are covering. If it's a major news story, most potential users will know what it's all about and just want the pictures to use as illustrations. But other smaller events - or certain aspects of those events - might not be as obvious and including as much info as possible in the caption might improve the chances of the pictures being used. 

For the State Opening of Parliament or a visit of a foreign head of state, the basics will probably do. 

When I covered the Loose Village annual plastic Duck Race, I felt a few more details and background were required.

Thanks Phil, very helpfull, regards

Here’s my caption template from my Photo Mechanic Live News stationery pad:

{city}, {state}, {country}. {day0}th {monthname}, {year4}. SOMEBODY DOING SOMETHING at SOMEWHERE. BACKGROUND. {credit}

Everything in brackets gets auto filled, and I just double click the words in caps to replace with name/identifier, verb, noun, location. The background is a sentence about why the photo was worth taking. (The “at” might get replaced with “during” sometimes depending how I phrase things.)

Having it spelled out for what I need to replace stops the brain fart of looking at an empty caption box and starting from scratch each time. 

From what I can tell, the LN photos with long captions are usually Alamy partner images (Zuma, Reuters, and other high end agencies) that have probably had an editor work on them. 

Archived