Keith,

Your correct in identifying your image as "Mackeral Sky" however the correct term is  "CH9 Cirro Cumulus" (Cloud group C1).

These are classed as "uncommon" so well done for capturing it.

Regards Davey

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I called these clouds stratocumulus. Did I get it wrong? Altocumulus perhaps?

Keith,

Your correct in identifying your image as "Mackeral Sky" however the correct term is  "CH9 Cirro Cumulus" (Cloud group C1).

Regards Davey

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I called these clouds stratocumulus. Did I get it wrong? Altocumulus perhaps?

Stratocumulus, Cloud group C6 classified as low clouds (Below 6,500ft).

Altocumulus, Cloud group C3 classified as medium clouds ( Between 6,500-20,000ft)

Hope this helps :)

Keith,

Regards Davey

Altocumulus, Cloud group C3 classified as medium clouds ( Between 6,500-20,000ft)

Thanks, I'll have to get out my measuring tape.

Keith,

Regards Davey

Thanks. I'm not as convinced as I'd like to be for keywording though. Online images for cirrocumulus look much more dappled. Could you provide a link to a source that shows something more similar to my more linear/parallel example?

It's hard to say how high they were! The shot was taken with a 300mm plus 1.4 converter so doesn't represent a huge area of sky...

I would have said this was more like classic cirrocumulus,  although I realise I haven't keyworded as such:

orange-clouds-over-woodland-at-dawn-wale

I feel like I've entered a new keywording minefield. And I thought fungi were bad...

Thanks again for the input Davey and John.

Keith,

Regards Davey

Thanks, I'll have to get out my measuring tape.

Unless you want to get up in a hot-air ballon, a folding rule may be the better option  B)  :ph34r:

Edit: typo

Keith,

Regards Davey

Sorry for being picky but this is key wording - "Mackerel Sky" ... although the "alternative" spelling of that species of fish might be worth including.

Thanks Davey I'll hold of that and Mike, yes, very good point. I've been looking at the cloud appreciation society and feel sure this is undulatus,  either alto or stratocumulus, but I'll check out the met office guide too. Looking at some wider shots I took at the time this was a very small part of a very complex sky with many different cloud types. Thanks to all for the help.

Thanks Davey I'll hold of that and Mike, yes, very good point. I've been looking at the cloud appreciation society and feel sure this is undulatus,  either alto or stratocumulus, but I'll check out the met office guide too. Looking at some wider shots I took at the time this was a very small part of a very complex sky with many different cloud types. Thanks to all for the help.

Yes, they look like these to me. But then...

Yes, they look like these to me. But then...

Yes, and like these:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=stratocumulus+undulatus&tbm=isch&imgil=HZJJfUOFJ1oxMM%253A%253Bl7k6fSRKX4rXBM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.clouds-online.com%25252Fcloud_atlas%25252Fstratocumulus%25252Fimages%25252Fstratocumulus_undulatus_8.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=HZJJfUOFJ1oxMM%253A%252Cl7k6fSRKX4rXBM%252C_&usg=__6cxGyWS8F6Rwa_Hsii32f1ixhrk%3D&biw=1200&bih=575&ved=0ahUKEwjE5o-8qYfLAhUQ0GMKHV-0C0YQyjcINQ&ei=td_IVoS4EZCgjwPf6K6wBA#tbm=isch&q=altocumulus+undulatus

And these:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cirrocumulus+undulatus&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL0avLwYfLAhVEaA8KHQHiBY4Q_AUIBygB&biw=980&bih=549&dpr=3

I'll try and keyword accordingly! I think the undulatus or repetitive pattern is perhaps the most important aspect. The iridescence is interesting too but doesn't show well at small image sizes...

Keith, I use the "Cloud Types for Observers" from the Met Office. Its a free downloadable PDF which contains images and descriptions, very handy

Regards Davey

Thanks very much for this, it's just what I was after. I see what you mean about the cirrocumulus but judging height and therefore cirro/alto/strato seems pretty tricky! I did learn from the guide that the "complex" sky I described is called a chaotic sky (rather nice term) and the iridescence phenomenon is called irisation. All good stuff.

Cheers, Keith

Archived