Sony RX100 M3 Settings

I've used the camera like this previously but I can't work out how I did it.  The M1 and M2 versions couldn't do this as I recall.

I want to pre-set the Aperture and Shutter Speed and leave the ISO as the Auto Setting.

(I found I got good results in changeable lighting conditions when working on the hoof.  I set the aperture to the sweet spot and the shutter speed to ensure minimum shake.
Usually f5.6 and 1/125)

Which setting on the dial will allow this etc.

Thanks in advance

Forgetful John   :rolleyes:

AFAIK you have to set the program dial to the program setting you want to use: M; S: A; P; SCN etc. Otherwise some settings will be grayed out.

wim

Thanks Wim,  

Found it at last.  In case anyone else can't find it on their Sony RX100 M3 -  Set to Manual - adjust shutter and aperture as required but leave ISO on Auto.  Simples.

On the Mk1 and I think also on the Mk 2 version, you can't set the ISO to AUTO in Manual.

AFAIK you have to set the program dial to the program setting you want to use: M; S: A; P; SCN etc. Otherwise some settings will be grayed out.

wim

Thanks Wim,  

Found it at last.  In case anyone else can't find it on their Sony RX100 M3 -  Set to Manual - adjust shutter and aperture as required but leave ISO on Auto.  Simples.

On the Mk1 and I think also on the Mk 2 version, you can't set the ISO to AUTO in Manual.

Just tested your theory on the Mk1 and in manual setting Auto ISO is grayed out.

Allan

That was my main disappointment with the RX100 Mk1 (I didn't have a Mk2).  I always thought that it would only need a software upgrade to enable it but it never happened.

Previously with my Canon DSLR I always used the fixed aperture and shutter speed with auto ISO method for walk-about 'grab' shots and it worked really well.

Now with that facility available on the Mk3, I can once again return to that mode of working.  Probably won't suit everyone but I like it.

John

There was a firmware upgrade for the Mk1 issued Jan 2015. The benefit was to "Improve the vibration and sound noise of the lens during auto-focusing." I assume this was for those using video and as I do not use video I ignored the upgrade.

Allan

Archived