Quick web page with Lightroom

I want to put together a series of images in web format with a minimum of effort. They are shots taken at a friend's birthday do, nothing commercial.

I note that LR has a web feature, but I confess to making only minimal use of LR ( keywording, cataloging, raw conversion and minimal tweaking), doing the bulk of my work in PS.  I am therefore something of a LR ignoramus, particularly regarding its apparently byzantine filing systems.

It appears that I need to make a "Collection" within LR in order to use the web facility, but I want to use images processed and saved using PS.  Is it possible to point LR in the direction of that folder without importing the files into my catalogue? The appropriate raw files have already been imported, but it's the JPGs that I have worked on that I need to use.

This should be easy, but I have tried and failed  :(

If you are primarily a Photoshop user the Lightroom system often seems strange.  It is a different paradigm.  I think the way it was designed to be used was as a sort of central repository for images.  Everything is imported into Lightroom, keyworded & titled there.  Then sent out to various other programs for post processing and returned to Lightroom when finished.  Of course it does not have to be used that way and I see many who are heavily invested in Photoshop prefer a different workflow.

But Julie is correct, in order to have a Lightroom collection those images need to be in the catalog.  As Julie suggests you can just create a new catalog for this purpose and delete when finished.  Or point the Lightroom import dialog to your folder and 'Add' instead of 'Copy'.  Make your collection and web gallery and when finished select the images in the folder panel and remove (not delete) them from the catalog. 

They will need to be imported into a catalog... Note I said a... Not your... You could start a new catalogue and delete it once you have complete creating the webpage you need.

Bryan, I agree with Julie, however you could "copy" and "Import" using "Quick collections" which allows you to arrange your  collection into slideshow and/or print templates to your specific needs. You would still have to "export" back to your hard drive then delete the file from LR catalogue! Hope this helps. Regards, Davey :huh:

Using LR this way is a PITA... IMO. Why don't you just start up a Wordpress Blog and use that? You don't have to go overboard on the layout, uploading pictures is trivial and you can run a gallery (if that's what you're after) for no cost at all.

I do put a bit of work into mine but it was unbelievably easy to set up. An example of a gallery (10 mins to set up using the free NextGEN Gallery) is at: http://www.maudric.com/blog/portraits/ 

If you're really stuck drop me a message and I can probably be prevailed upon to help.

Archived