Two new problems, consult everybody

hello everyone!

The new photographer ask two questions:

1, The latest upload more than 10 photo, only five appear in" Waiting QC", where is the rest of the photos?

2,How to determine the type of photos?RM,RM-E,RF?

Welcome to Alamy!

I suspect that the rest of your uploaded images are still processing and will need at least a few more hours to show up. In my case, they always do. Check again, and see if they're there. If they don't show up in a day or so, ask member services.

As for RF vs RM etc ... this is an area of big debate. I try for a balance, about half in each, but many people have stronger opinions. I would study them all.

Finally; I see that you have also photographed Xin Jiang meat sticks. These are among my favorite foods and are popular in Queens, NY where I lived for many years. I hope you ate a few after you did the shoot.

Reading that link, the advice for RM images is "You must have model and property releases for relevant subject matter in an image. If you don’t have them you can set restrictions to licence the image for “Editorial use only”."

I seem to recall setting "Editorial only" on numerous of my shots initially only to be advised by Alamy that that would significantly hinder sales. It has always been my understanding that it is the decision/responsibility of the end user on whether or not  to publish an image without releases.

I therefore only offer RF if I have releases or if the subject matter does not require a release, e.g. a countryside view. Most of my RM images contain people or objects for which I have no release, and are checked as such, but none are now marked Editorial Only.

Am I doomed to bankruptcy by litigation, or is this just Alamy clearing the corporate yardarm?

Bryan, you've got to balance the difference between "no possibility of a sale" vs "no possibility of a commercial sale." While most of the money in the industry in general is in commercial sales, editorial sales that don't require paperwork are not an insignificant percentage. In addition, Alamy's dominance of the editorial market in the UK speaks in favor of posting editorial images too.

Remember; mentors of mine said years ago that if you don't put an image in stock, it has no chance of selling.

I stick with RM because the sales are easier to track, and it gives me the illusion of having some control of how images will be used. Also, there is really very little difference between RM and RF sales on Alamy. Most licenses are now RM/RF hybrids. I do have some RF images on Alamy, but none has ever leased. Personal preferences do and should vary, of course.

Archived