More care required in Dubai

Being Dubai, there will be several answers dependant on your ethnicity and who you are taking pictures of.  Do not take photos of local women or women in local dress unless you know them as this may well cause offence.

The main problem is people from some sexually repressed cultures who visit public beaches to view (and maybe photograph) scantily clad women on the beach.  You can normally spot them as they walk slowly by for the third time.  

If you wanted such shots professionally, then surely you would ask permission whether in Dubai or Brighton.

Dubai police tend to chuck all parties in jail if there's a car accident, so it would be helpful to know precisely what was allowed and what was not.

If I wanted a shot of Brighton or any other beach to show a wide view preferably with some sun smiling on the scene, asking permission from some or all those walking or sunbathing would be a complete non-starter. But Dubai or any number of other middle-east beaches, I would either give it a miss or be as invisible as possible. Getting on a bit so might be mistaken for a sad old voyeur!

I'm sure I have photographed several hundred beaches around the UK and Europe and never ever sought permission. A few close-ups, Yes, but that's an entirely different matter.

If I wanted a shot of Brighton or any other beach to show a wide view preferably with some sun smiling on the scene, asking permission from some or all those walking or sunbathing would be a complete non-starter. But Dubai or any number of other middle-east beaches, I would either give it a miss or be as invisible as possible. Getting on a bit so might be mistaken for a sad old voyeur!

I'm sure I have photographed several hundred beaches around the UK and Europe and never ever sought permission. A few close-ups, Yes, but that's an entirely different matter.

Yup, asking permission in street views, beach scenes, markets etc is rarely feasible, unless as Robert states, it's for a close up.

Archived