Question for Canadian eBay users

I imagine NAFTA did away with that.

Wouldn't apply to cameras, they aren't made in North America.

John, here is a link for you.  Appears camra gear is duty free:

http://www.photoprice.ca/article/duty-on-camera-equipment

One thing, have it shipped USPS not UPS or Fedex or you will be hit by brokerage fees. You will have to pay taxes when you pickup the package at the post office plus a fee to the post office for giving them the privilege of collecting the taxes from you.

Jill

But they have been lawfully imported into the US in the first place and any duty paid.

If I import a camera from outside the EU and pay duty, it doesn't have to be paid again if I sell it on in the EU. NAFTA is a customs union like the EU.

John, here is a link for you.  Appears camra gear is duty free:

http://www.photoprice.ca/article/duty-on-camera-equipment

One thing, have it shipped USPS not UPS or Fedex or you will be hit by brokerage fees. You will have to pay taxes when you pickup the package at the post office plus a fee to the post office for giving them the privilege of collecting the taxes from you.

Jill

Thanks for the useful link, Jill, I thought there was no duty but wasn't sure. When I've ordered camera stuff from B&H in NYC, I've had to pay only clearance fees and taxes. No doubt, the same would be true for used equipment from private sellers. With the sinking loonie, shopping in the US probably ain't worth it these days. China, here I come...

Re NAFTA, I believe you're correct. It doesn't pertain to goods not made in North America, which means just about everything related to cameras. As some might say, NAFTA actually stands for Not A Fair Trade Agreement.

Archived